Best way to get from OAK to Santa Cruz on Public Transport?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Savage, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I will be visiting a bunch of friends in California this December and I will need to get from Oakland Airport to Santa Cruz and back again a couple of days later using public transportation.

I have looked at Amtrak and Greyhound and it looks like it is possible.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Go to:

http://511.org/

It's the Bay Area Transit site and should be able to tell you if it's possible.
    Santa Cruz is cut off from the rest of the Bay by a little hill....mountain in the rest of the country. It's the reason why Buses etc don't go there a lot

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Why not fly into San Jose SJC instead? Most public transit around here is run by county, so from Oakland you would start in Alameda county, traverse Santa Clara county, and end up in Santa Cruz county. At least there are busses direct from San Jose to Santa Cruz.

There used to be a train from San Jose to Santa Cruz but they buried the tracks under a reservoir around 1945....

4. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Grant -

Thanks for the site link. I looked at it over the weekend and it is fantastic. It looks like Amtrack and Greyhound will be my best options. I think Amtrack will cool. I haven't ridden a train in awhile. They do bus you the last leg of the trip.

I am not flying into SJC because I will be spending most of my time in Oakland and San Francisco. My only problem is that no one has cars and I am trying not to spend the money on a rental.

Thanks for the suggestions! If anyone else has any thoughts feel free to post them.

Laters,
    Jeff

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

As long as you don't have to get to any particular place at any specific time, Amtrack is pretty good....same with the Hound but it's usually a little better.

Mort

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I have a tip for you, don't go walking around Oakland if you can avoid it. That is one city you do NOT want to get lost in. Take a cab straight fromt he airport to the bus station, Amtrack, whatever, and don't wander around on foot.

7. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Thanks for the tips! It looks like Greyhound will be the easist way to go. I can take a cab from where I am staying to the bus station (the Airport was just a reference) and my friends will meet me in Santa Cruz.

Laters,
    Jeff

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I commute between San Francisco & Sunnyvale (near San Jose) during the week if you need a ride back to the city....if that helps

9. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Wow Grant thanks for the generous offer! I will keep that in mind for December and before I book and other transporation.

My friends have told me I am crazy for planning this far ahead but I guess you never know what might pop up.

Laters,
    Jeff