Best Way to Get DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I finally got a DVD player, now I'm wondering what is the best way to buy/rent DVDs? At around $20 a piece for movies, I'd like to watch them first and then decide if I want to buy it. I've seen ads for NetFlix that for $20 a month you can get 3 DVDs then return 1 and they'll send you another, so on and so forth. Is this a good deal? Any good alternatives? The only video store I have in my town is a Movie Gallery, would they offer the same kind of deal? I really wouldn't want to have to wait 4-5 days for a new DVD to be shipped from NetFlix.

Also, as far as buying the DVDs goes, what is the best way? Just buy them at Best Buy or Walmart? I'm just looking for any ideas. Thanks a lot.

Tim

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Renting: Depends on how fast you'll turn them around. If you watch a lot of movies, Netflix might be the best bet since you'll only spend $20 per month and can watch as many as you can turn around in a month. I also have a Movie Gallery and they seem quite expensive (about $4 per title) and often they seem to only have full-screen versions of movies instead of widescreen.
    Buying: Check out Dave Lambert's Weekly Roundup thread in the "Coupons and Bargains" section of the forum. Dave collects sale data for most of the hot titles at several of the larger chains and shares this info each week as to who has the best prices on which titles. If you live in an area with lots of retail choices, you should have an easy time finding bargains (like this week's $9.95 sales on "Star Wars Episode II").
    Welcome to the HTF! [​IMG]
    And this thread will probably be moved to another section. "Movies" is generally just about current theatrical releases or discussions about the artistic aspects of a movie. Questions about DVD releases and features are in "HT Software."

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Just going to move this to Software where it will get the most attention.

Welcome to the forum!

Jason

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Also, some real gems can be found at used CD/DVD stores. Just be sure to inspect the disks before you buy just to be sure you're not getting a gouged up copy.
    One man's flop is another man's masterpiece. [​IMG]

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I use DeepDiscountDVD.com for all my DVD needs. They usually have the lowest price for all my DVDs, and if they don't... you can price-match other sites! [​IMG]
    I would recommend using the priority mail option over the free option because discs get to you ~ 2-3 days faster.

6. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys.

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Tim,

I buy most discs sight unseen. Here's my case:

Taking my wife to a movie:
    Tickets: $16
    Popcorn: $5
    Drinks: $5
    TOTAL: $26, and that's getting off lucky

Buying a DVD:
    DVD: $17.99
    Popcorn: $10 for a case of 40, so $0.25
    Drinks: We only drink water. Our water company charges 3 cents for a few thousand gallons. So we'll assume we're REALLY thirsty - drinks cost $0.03.
    TOTAL: $18.27, call it $20 after tax

So here is my whole point: People will pay $26+ to watch a movie, in a theater, sight unseen. Yet they won't pay $20 to watch a DVD sight unseen? It doesn't make sense. Oh, and if you don't like the DVD, you can sell it online and get half your money back. Try THAT at your local cinema!

Of course, this only works if you hate commercial theaters as much as I do and stop going alltogether. I just saw Attack of the Clones for the first time last night. Doesn't bother me a bit that I'm "behind the times"...

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

If you want to purchase online, the site www.dvdpricesearch.com can help in locating the best price for the titles you are interested in.

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Oh, and also:

1. Watch out for Wal-Mart. Some of their titles are edited. I don't believe in censorship and thus, do not buy any media from Wal-Mart.

2. Best Buy is a decent place to buy discs, just watch the prices.

I get most of my discs from Costco, or dvdempire.com. Costco is great because they always have the most popular releases and their return policy (1 year no questions asked) is unobtainable anywhere else.

10. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

When I'm shopping for DVDs, what formats should I be looking for? I'm assuming I want widescreens instead of fullscreens, but how can you tell what it is? I see on the Best Buy website they list the aspect ratio, what aspect ratio would I want? Thanks.

Tim

11. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the best way to get DVDs really cheap would probably be to make friends with Winona and find out when she's going 'shopping' again...

Sorry, I had to do it.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

15. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I'm with you Dave. I do have non-anamorphic Psycho, Vertigo, Princess Bride and I will replace them when I have the time. No more non-anamorphic purchases for me. I can really notice the difference on a 106" widescreen front projection system.

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Columbia House is BY FAR the best way to build a collection. Most new releases take three months to become an enrollment, but with the right savings code, each disc will cost no more than $8.00 a disc (including shipping). Go to dvdtalk.com and in the "club" section you will see all the info. you will need.

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome, Tim.
    I purchase my DVDs differently depending:
    ·Criterion DVDs at DVDPlanet (ongoing 35% discount). I normally receive about 3-day turnaround.
    ·Most other DVDs from Amazon. They don’t have quite the discounts of DeepDiscountDVD, but I really like their service.
    ·Spur of the moment purchases at ‘Best Buy’ or wherever else I happen to be. I limit this to strictly sale items. For example I just picked up ‘Hoosiers’ and ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’ at ‘Best Buy’ for $10 each. It helps to know the market and the releases for purchases of these types.
    ·I rummage through used DVD/CD places occasionally. Same advice on knowing the market.
    ·Occasionally buy on eBay. I used to do this a lot when I lived overseas, but now I rarely buy this way. Know the market and how the auctions work if purchasing this way.
    As for purchasing vs. renting, most of us on this forum have far more DVDs than we could watch, even if we did nothing else. And we rent also.
    As to why this is, you will soon learn. [​IMG]

18. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

I'll second Columbia House, although they charge state sales tax, and in GA, I average about $9.80 a disc delivered.

Still, it's the best way - especially considering you can load up on special editions at 49 cents, then 'fulfill' with $19.95 titles.

You make your fulfillment, cancel membership and rejoin. They let you have up to two accounts at one time. I've been doing this for around six months, and I am no where near running out of $19.95 titles. The special edition selections are starting to get thinner now though.

Good luck!

19. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

You got in too late. You should have got in in 1998.
    The online stores were having all types of crazy deals.
    800.com had a 3 DVDs for $.99 and buy.com used to have $10 off $10 coupons, no limit per customer and familywonder had some great deals.
    I would read www.dvdtalk.com and every now and then there will be a deal.
    I kid you not, there used to be a deal almost every day where you could get a DVD for around $5.
    I guess that is why I have over 600 DVDs, average price paid is around $7 each.
    [​IMG]
    It is almost time to buy titles all over again on DVHS and then HDVD!
    Love this hobby.

20. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks again guys. What are 'criterion' DVDs?

Tim