Best way to do shipping???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lynn Johnson, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I want to list some dvd's for sale/trade, and I just signed up for my PayPal account, but I was wondering if there is a preferred method of shipping? Simple question, I know, but thought I would ask the experts first. Thanks!

2. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

USPS media mail is cheapest.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Every shipping method has its advocates and its detractors. The most common is USPS Priority or Media rates. Media rate (applies only to literature, videos and the like; you must ask for this rate and state what the content type is - videos in this case) is the cheapest but it's also the slowest. My experience says 5-7 days typical but it can take up to two weeks, especially around Christmas. Priority takes 2-3 days but it's not guaranteed.

Give your buyers a choice - and require delivery confirmation (45 cents additional for Priority, 55 cents for Media). This can save you a hassle if the package is very late or doesn't arrive at all). Delivery confirmation is not a tracking #, however. UPS and Fed Ex both include tracking #'s as part of the shipping cost, but USPS does not.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I always send First Class... it is only a LITTLE more than Media Mail and is twice as fast from my experience.

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Delivery confirmation is not a tracking #, however. UPS and Fed Ex both include tracking #'s as part of the shipping cost, but USPS does not.

6. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Delivery Confirmation is also available for First Class Mail for $.55 as long as the thickest part of the envelope is 3/4" or more.

7. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

You can get free delivery confirmation on priority mail packages if you print a shipping label from the USPS website. I always do that now when I ship priority.

I also like using first class mail and prefer it to media mail when shipping a single DVD. It's almost as fast as priority mail and significantly cheaper (slightly more than media). I think the only problem is it is limited to 13 ounces.

But if you are not concerned with speed and want to save money, then media mail is the best solution. When I sell I usually offer free media mail shipping with the selling price. But I offer priority mail at an extra cost if the buyer wants it. So far no has asked for the priority mail upgrade.

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Steve: The confirmation # is only that. All it is guaranteed to display is mailing and delivery information. It sometimes displays points in between, but it never displays all points in between like a UPS tracking # will.

Brian: That's very interesting - where on the USPS site can I find a Priority label to print?

9. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Steve: The confirmation # is only that. All it is guaranteed to display is mailing and delivery information. It sometimes displays points in between, but it never displays all points in between like a UPS tracking # will.

11. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Hey, thanks for the advice everyone. I bet you helped out a bunch of HTF members with all the answers provided above - people like me who would like to sell a few dvd's, but not sure about the protocol etc. Thanks again!