What's new

best way to cut polycarbonate? (1 Viewer)

Derek_P

Stunt Coordinator
hey, i am making a mount for my projector from some polycarbonate plexiglass stuff i came across...

it's way to big... like 18"x18" and i need to cut it down to the size of my projector... what the best way to sut it to size?

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

Have you successfully [rant]used[/rant] a router to cut polycarb?

My experience cutting it with a saber saw (running too fast) taught me that it has to be cut s-l-o-w-l-y. Else the heat from friction melts the polycarb making a bad situation worse - FAST!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have used a router for years for cutting plexi and polycarbonate. Wouldn't use anything else except maybe a table saw. No heat issues with the router whatsoever.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

Good to know. Do you run the router on a speed controller? Turn the speed down? What kind of bit?

I *have* used a table saw. I hate getting pelted with the little shards. Curious too how it makes all those slippery little bearings.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
No speed controler needed. I just use my 3 1/2 hp Makita with a straight bit, clamp on a straight edge and fire her up. It does make a mess though. With plastic shavings, the cut edge come out nice and smooth.

Nick P

Second Unit
Stephen and MarkMel,

Yes I do cut polycarbonates and acrylics with a "router" but my situation is a bit different as I have a CNC machine. Same principle/technique though. Yes, the material can melt if the rpm and feed rate are off...especially at 24,000 rpm! I just ruined an 1/8" bit the other day. It's now a metal stick with a big black blob welded onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks