Best way to cool my amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GuyL, Mar 3, 2002.

1. GuyL

GuyL Extra

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a PE250 to power my SVS. At the moment, I'm testing it and just have it lying in my stereo rack with the heatsink facing up and parallel to the shelf it's on. At loud volumes, it runs quite hot and has even shut off once. As of yet, I have not calibrated my sub, so it's possible I may be overdriving the amp. I know ideally the fins of the heatsink should be in a vertical position, but will that make that much of a difference? Also, I'm going to build an enclosure for it and was thinking of adding a fan. Should the fan be placed inside the enclosure or on the heatsink? And should the fan be blowing towards the amp or away from it? And one last question. Can I use a video cable as an interconnect for the amp? I have a short run and haven't been able to find a sub cable less than 12 feet.

Thanks.

2. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I think mounting the amp vertically would make a huge difference. The heatsinks were designed like that for a reason. The fan should blow across the heatsink.

3. Dan Hotch

Dan Hotch Agent

If you are going to add a fan of sufficient airflow then it doesn't matter if you place the amp virtical or horizontal. If you are going to enclose the amp make sure that you provide uniform airflow over the fins on the amp. Radio shack has muffin fans that run on 120V AC. They are small, but can put out high cfm. You can plug them into house voltage, the only problem is that they spin at high RPMs and can make an annoying hum.

If you explain what you had in mind as far as the enclosure then maybe I can give you some advice (I have tinkered with heat transfer off and on.) Pics would be great.

Regards,

4. GuyL

GuyL Extra

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I haven't put a lot of thought into the design of an enclosure yet as I wasn't sure which way the amp should be mounted. What I would like to do is build something similar in size to a stereo receiver and mount the amp on top. I would leave the back open for additional ventilation along with mounting a fan. Though, I'm not sure how I should position the fan for maximum effectiveness.