Best way to connect Sub to 2 channel Integrated Amp?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim_, May 31, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

What is the best way to hook up a subwoofer to my existing 2 channel system without degrading the sound quality to the speaker and sub?

My Int. Amp. doesn't have a LFE/sub output but it has a Pre-out1 & pre-out2(volume cotrol by the amp). But both 10" sub I'm looking for from HSU and SVS only comes with LFE input and a speaker level input. I'm afraid using the speaker level input as it'll degraded the sound quality to my speaker as I have to use the sub to further distribute the signal to speaker. Any suggestions?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Just run RCA cables from those pre outs to the sub line level in and use the sub's crossover to high cut the full range signal that is on the pre outs. If your preouts are fed back to "amp ins" as is the case on some receivers, you will need to get a pair of RCA splitters- send one limb back to the receiver's amps and the other limb to the sub. In this case, you would also have the option of inserting a line level high pass filter for the signal (ACI has these) that goes back to the receiver's amps to unburdon your mains of deep bass.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The RCA input on most subs is not a LFE only input. My VTF-2 could bypass the x-over via a switch, so if you just leave it "on", there should be no problem.

I would just run the pre-out to the sub and blend it in manually (with an SPL meter), with the mains driven off the main channels of the integrated full range and the sub supporting where the mains naturally roll off.

4. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Of course if you use the methods described above your main speakers will still be running full range. I would also try using the speaker level input/output (if the sub has one) and letting your ears decide. My experience is that few subs anymore have high-pass filters on the RCA in side. And no RCA out at all. That was something that subs from the Dolby ProLogic era had.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, Brian's second suggestion, using an inline passive filter and feeding it back into the main inputs from an output on the integrated, would not run the speakers full range. It would add a bit of complexity and additional cables though.

You could also use an Outlaw ICBM; again, at additional cost, and it is intended for multichannel, so you'd be "wasting" functionality.

Most subs have a fixed high pass on the speaker level outputs. It is not continuously variable; only the sub's low pass is varied.

6. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Wrong...MartinLogan, Rel, and many others subs have this connectivity!!

7. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I stand corrected. I guess I should have inserted the words "affordable", "mass-market", or "lower-priced". I'm still hanging on to my ancient DefTech PF1500 because I can't seem to find anything in the price range and with the output of, say, a 16-46PCi that has this feature.

Greg