Best way to clean audio albums?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveSpoon, Feb 26, 2004.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

I may be the last guy alive who still listens to vinyl, but I was wondering what the best way to clean up an old album? Your input appreciated.

Steve

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  3. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

You are far from the last guy to listen to vinyl, and I agree, that link should tell you everything you need.

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

BACK TO MONO!

You are not alone. Hearing The Beatles on vinyl for the first time was a revelation; I immediately sold my CDs.

To answer your question, the DISCWASHER unit has always worked well for me.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

The best way? This:
    Nitty Gritty
    or
    VPI Industries
    I strongly suggest one of these types of cleaning machines for those who buy used albums. It is an expensive investment (it's hard to find a good deal on these machines), but well worth it.
    The Discwasher brush (I do use one) is for a basic cleaning prior to a listening session. Used records need more scrubbing than that provided by the Discwasher system. A proper wet/vaccum system will get the grime from deep in the grooves. The big reason is, with a cleaning machine, you let the solution soak for a while, releasing the dried on stuff more effectively. If you think vinyl sound good now, try an album after a proper cleaning on one of these machines. Like I said, well worth the investment.

P.S. I think Audioadvisor.com has a basic manual vaccuum cleaning machine for $199.99.