Best way to brace Floorstanding speakers on wood floors?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin*Harley, May 23, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Currently I have carpet and I'm using spikes. I'll have wood flooring in a few weeks and looking for the best way to brace them without damaging the floor.

Thanks

2. Brian R

Brian R Stunt Coordinator

These would probably work the best, but you could also place a penney between the spikes and the floor.

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

4. Frank Pl

Frank Pl Auditioning

not quite a pretty thing to have pennies...?

5. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link!

ps. Pennies are a great idea but I would probably wake up every day to find my speakers on the ground and my kids bragging about the penny they "found"

6. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I'd also worry about the pennies damaging the wood floor if they're left there for an extended period of time. I've seen cases where pennies where placed underneath heavy objects -- possibly unintentionally -- and after several years they essentially became part of the floor and were almost impossible to remove.

7. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Whatever you use, you'll want something that is softer than your floor so that you don't scratch and/or embed the object into your hardwood. I'll bet you could find something at the hardware store for less than 20 bucks per speaker that will do the trick, but the four cent solution wouldn't qualify...

8. Lyle Schenher

Hi, I have hardwood floor and a large set of Klipsch La Scala Floor Standing speakers.

I stumbled across a solution that I'd like to share.

When you put an area rug down on hardwood, you can also purchase an underlay specifically designed to keep the rug from slipping around.

The one I have is made of a tan foamy like material, and is designed with small squares of sticky foam shaped like mini pillows, and attached to each other at the corners to make something that looks like a checkerboard.

at any rate, took some of this same material and placed it under the speakers. It does an amazing job of coupling my speakers to the floor so that I get the great bass response, without the speakers jumping or vibrating the floor.

I'd encourage you to try this solution, it may work better than the spikes and pennies trick.

I can't remember what mine cost, as I bought it a while ago, but any place like home depot that sells area rugs, should sell the pads that go with it for hardwood.

The difference between the hardwood pads, and regular foam underlay for carpets is that the hardwood pads are make from a material that is naturally tacky, so it sticks to the floor and prevents the rug from slipping.

Lyle.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That's a great idea as it also won't damage the floor underneath. I was thinking of that tacky spongy stuff you see for lining shelves and pantries with as another alternative.

10. Fred Rainford

Fred Rainford Auditioning

I also had this problem and solved it, after trying pennies which seemed a pain to keep in place, by making small discs from the same wood as the floor and placing them between the spikes and the floor, the discs sit tight on the floor and the spikes have something to stick into, all in all I'm happy with it.

Fred

11. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

What Lyle is referring to is called "Wicker-Loc" by Leggett & Platt. There are variations of it out there, but believe me, Leggett & Platt is the best there is. If Home Depot doesn't have it, call L&P direct at (800)221-4329, and they'll refer you to a dealer near you.