What's new

Best way to brace Floorstanding speakers on wood floors? (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Currently I have carpet and I'm using spikes. I'll have wood flooring in a few weeks and looking for the best way to brace them without damaging the floor.

Thanks

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link!

ps. Pennies are a great idea but I would probably wake up every day to find my speakers on the ground and my kids bragging about the penny they "found"

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'd also worry about the pennies damaging the wood floor if they're left there for an extended period of time. I've seen cases where pennies where placed underneath heavy objects -- possibly unintentionally -- and after several years they essentially became part of the floor and were almost impossible to remove.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Whatever you use, you'll want something that is softer than your floor so that you don't scratch and/or embed the object into your hardwood. I'll bet you could find something at the hardware store for less than 20 bucks per speaker that will do the trick, but the four cent solution wouldn't qualify...

Hi, I have hardwood floor and a large set of Klipsch La Scala Floor Standing speakers.

I stumbled across a solution that I'd like to share.

When you put an area rug down on hardwood, you can also purchase an underlay specifically designed to keep the rug from slipping around.

The one I have is made of a tan foamy like material, and is designed with small squares of sticky foam shaped like mini pillows, and attached to each other at the corners to make something that looks like a checkerboard.

at any rate, took some of this same material and placed it under the speakers. It does an amazing job of coupling my speakers to the floor so that I get the great bass response, without the speakers jumping or vibrating the floor.

I'd encourage you to try this solution, it may work better than the spikes and pennies trick.

I can't remember what mine cost, as I bought it a while ago, but any place like home depot that sells area rugs, should sell the pads that go with it for hardwood.

The difference between the hardwood pads, and regular foam underlay for carpets is that the hardwood pads are make from a material that is naturally tacky, so it sticks to the floor and prevents the rug from slipping.

Lyle.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's a great idea as it also won't damage the floor underneath. I was thinking of that tacky spongy stuff you see for lining shelves and pantries with as another alternative.

Fred Rainford

Auditioning
I also had this problem and solved it, after trying pennies which seemed a pain to keep in place, by making small discs from the same wood as the floor and placing them between the spikes and the floor, the discs sit tight on the floor and the spikes have something to stick into, all in all I'm happy with it.

Fred

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
What Lyle is referring to is called "Wicker-Loc" by Leggett & Platt. There are variations of it out there, but believe me, Leggett & Platt is the best there is. If Home Depot doesn't have it, call L&P direct at (800)221-4329, and they'll refer you to a dealer near you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks