Best way to approach unfamiliar boss for 2-week notice.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by KyleS, May 20, 2003.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

OK so I know that a lot of these threads have been rolling around lately and I don't want to get into a "you don't need to give them 2 weeks because they wouldn't give you 2" debate. I may be old fashioned but I still believe in a 2 week notice to give your employer time to plan for you leaving (redistribute work, hire replacement, etc).

So with that out of the way I will be giving my 2-week notice most likely tomorrow and am not sure how to approach my new manager. Normally I could just go in and talk to my supervisor 1 on 1 but then again I have normally worked with them for years. Well 2 months ago my boss leaves and now I am working for someone I don't know. Should I just go in and ask for a meeting where I can let her know my decision to leave... What about putting it in writing.. Necessary?

I just wish I had my old boss who would totally understand my situation with lack of pay and no room for promotions.

KyleS

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Have the vaseline ready just in case. :b

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The last job I left, I just typed a letter and handed it to the Human Resources/Personnel Manager. S/He's the one who will have to deal with all the repercussions anyway.

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yeah follow Brian's advice and get everything squared away and your new job lined up before giving the notice. That way if they end up wanting you out of there right away no harm done. As for how to approach him, well, just hand him the written notice or whatever it is that the company requires.

At my last job they had resignation slips already made up so all I had to do was fill one out and give it to my supervisor.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I totally recommend Brian's advice.

And congrats! I gave my notice yesterday and pretty much did it how Brian suggested. Of course I knew my boss very well and we even share an office so I was feeling a bit nervous. It turned out fine for me and will for you too.

Oh, and one last thing. . DO NOT under any circumstances accept a counter-offer. Nothing good ever comes from them anyway. They tried that with me and I just stuck to my guns and told them "thanks, but no thanks".

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    "At my last job they had resignation slips already made up so all I had to do was fill one out and give it to my supervisor. "

I wonder if Travis sees a lot of turnover at his work??

8. Leila Dougan

Paul, it sure seems like it, doesn't it!

They probably have figured, "We have already formalized and standardized the hiring process, we might as well formalize and standardize the resignation process."

9. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,
    I don't know about Oregon but in Illinois if you give a two week notice/letter of resignation and your employer asks you to leave. They are obligated to pay you up until the end of the two week period.

Greg

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

echo brian...especially the part about making sure your pc is clean and you're ready to instantly leave.

this isn't a big deal. you don't know the guy and, tbh, probably won't see him again, so who cares how he perceives you?

just be diplomatic and professional - which it sounds like you already are.

11. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I would bypass the new boss altogether and just speak to the HR department about your intentions. I look at HR departments as kind of like agents for employees. You should be able to go to them for almost any issue you might have.

Short story, I hated the lady that worked as HR for my company and I often confided in my supervisor. Well, when my supervisor started acting like a dick, my relationship with HR began to warm and I opened up to her. As a result my supervisor was demoted and I think my HR dept. lady is great.

Don't underestimate the importance of HR.

12. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Unfortunately speaking to HR does about zero good other then to really piss off my current managers. In the position that I am in its not easy to replace someone so I dont think I will be walked out (Though you never know). My computer is already clean thanks to some good work yesterday. [​IMG]

I am worried about the fact they could walk me out but no one seems to know the answer of if they have to pay me the 2 weeks (I dont think they are required) or that I can at least apply for unemployment because they techincally would have terminated me at that point.

I will make sure to write up a letter and hand it in to them because it certainly couldnt hurt in case I do need to show proof.

For those of you who were asked about where you are going what was your answer..... Tell them? Or I have decided to take a position with another company that is more beneficial for my career as well as for the stability of my family. Should I address concerns at that point that I am not going to a competitor? Its funny but about half the people around here are walked out and the others they try and keep them around for 4weeks.

KyleS

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

re: when asked where are you going...

that's totally up to you. it's really none of their business, but if you're feeling amiable, you may wanna tell them. maybe they'll learn a lesson ... maybe not.

besides....anyone who bedgrudes you for moving onwards and upwards is no friend of yours anyway.

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    KyleS,

You can find some info here. Scanned quickly, I see nothing about having to pay your final 2 weeks notice, so if you're shown the door, your pay ends at that point. You might want to be sure you can live without 2 weeks pay first. If not, you may want to reconsider such a lengthy notice.

It also says you do not have to give them a reason for leaving, so it's up to you.

16. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

17. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Sorry to hear that Travis. Things may be bad at the company I am working for now and we have around 4-5K employees but it would blow me away to have a company that is expecting it by having forms.

KyleS

18. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I would bypass the new boss altogether and just speak to the HR department about your intentions

I think you need to notify the boss as well, just in case HR doesn't get the word out.

> Should I address concerns at that point that I am not going to a competitor?

No, none of their business, unless you have some sort of non-compete agreement with them (many of which are illegal anyway).

> I agree with that statement but its funny many of the companies that I have worked for definitely hold a grudge against employees for leaving them even though they were not willing to take care of those same employees.

That's their problem. They need to ask themselves why so many people are leaving (if that's the case).

I once worked at a place that claimed to play competitive salaries. However lots of people were able to get 20-50% raises just by going to another company within a reasonable distance. This company even did exit interviews, which I found funny since they obviously did nothing with the info. I was asked in mine why I was leaving, so I told them about the 40% increase I was getting. (Keep in mind this was my last day, and I only said that because I was asked, plus I had a great followup question.) Then I asked them if they noticed a trend when they asked that question. They said no. [​IMG]

Frankly I don't understand all the angst here about quitting a job, especially the standard employment-at-will. Be professional about it, just tell them you're leaving & when. If you put it in writing, don't include a reason. It's none of their business why you're leaving, where you're going, what your new salary will be, or even if you have another job lined up.

19. Leila Dougan

Travis. . sounds like my company. We don't have any premade forms, but we should!

We've got about 700 employees at our site with a 40% attrition rate.

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor