What's new

Best way for these connections? (1 Viewer)

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
I have a projector and a lcd monitor. Both I want connected to my video card via dvi. My video card has a dvi port and a vga port(w/dvi adapter). Would I still get the dvi quality signal just using the vga port + dvi adapter or is there a better way for the best picture quality? I'm assuming there's some picture loss, but not 100% sure.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am guessing that you would not notice any problem with picture quality simply by using a straight VGA connection from the computer to the LCD monitor.

A VGA to DVI adapter is a large dongle with lots of electronics inside requiring power, not just a little dongle that fits on the end of a cable.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It would probably be helpful if you posted what make and model of video card you were using

Many video cards have DVI-I connectors. This connector sends out both analog and digital signals. Users with analog monitors can simply attach a simple dongle that converts the analog video signals into a VGA cable.

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, basically what I want to know is does plugging a dvi cable into a vga port via adapter yield the same quality(no loss) as plugging a dvi cable into a dvi port? And the card's a eVGA Nvidia 6800GT.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
VGA is analog. You can buy (expensive) adaptors that convert this analog signal into DVI, but there will always be some signal loss.

There are adaptors that convert DVI-I to VGA, but these are cheaper because the adaptor is simply changing the pin out from one topology into another.

SVGA pinout

DVI pinout

The DVI-I connector has analog Red, Blue, and Green pins. The VGA connector lacks the digital TDMS pins.

As far as I can tell, your graphics card has one VGA connector and one DVI connector. You can connect a pair of VGA monitors. or one DVI monitor and one VGA monitor, but connecting two DVI monitors appears to be physically impossible. It may be worth your while to look for a card with two DVI ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks