What's new

best vintage speakers??? (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
my parents are moving and my dad has huge Altec VOT's

I wanted to get him some smaller speakers but he's stuck on older technology. anyone have any ideas of vintage speakers that I could get him that would beat the VOT's?

ps VOT's x over is 500

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
The VOTs are true good stuff. The crossover point is similar for all versions of this speaker and it comes in many flavors. If the speaker is taller than you it is an A1, A2 or A4. The smaller ones come in many sizes over many years. The reason there is little change in the speakers since 1945 is because they are very hard to surpass in efficiency and dynamics regardless of so called newer technology. That said, here is some thoughts for a gift for Dad (and congrats to you being so thoughful for the old man):

1. Today we find some great Subs that fill nicely with the older speakers. While the VOTs extend the bass fill with some cabinetry, they still only give you down to about 40hz in the best conditions (albeit at decent SPL readings). However, Velodyne HGS18 would be an excellent complement to the speakers as would several similarly priced subs. SVS and HSU tubes give great bargains for really good sound as well.

2. If your dad won't part with these speakers then there is a good chance that he would not be satisfied with anything other than horns. If they are the huge VOTs, then a 1960s or 1970s version of the Klipschorns would be smaller (although not 'small' by anyone's definition) and offer great sound - but must be in a corner to extend the bass. The smaller VOTs are great matches - the A6, A7-500, A5 and A8 (my least favorite one of the bunch). New stuff that is as passionately built as the original is Edgarhorns.

3. If you go smaller I then vote for Klipsch heritage. The belles and la scalas are on a similar large scale, but the Heresy and Cornwalls have wonderful tweeter and squaker horns and adequate woofers. They are a surprising good sound from a much smaller enclosure than most horn based systems.

As to beating VOTs - Probably not going to happen for your Dad. In this category the differences in a better loudspeaker would be so little that it would not matter...

Is he getting rid of the VOTs?

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Geno---Nothing beats the VOTs, nothing. (IMO) The technology is old but is still the best. It's seen little change because when the vast resources of Bell Labs and MGM went to work on a simple problem (speakers are afterall some of the simplest of machines) they came up with the correct answer, done deal.
If you want something smaller for your Dad I suggest some of the Altecs that used VOT components in smaller furniture cabinets like the Valencia, Iconic, Barcelona or the Model 19. Some consider the 19 the best sounding purely home use Altec, it's surely the best looking. Familiarize yourself with these by perusing the old Altec catalogs at www.audioheritage.org
You'll have to find such speakers used, they're on Ebay all the time.
www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
I have been enjoying my old pair of JBL Decade 26's for nearly 15 years.
I am planning an upgrade but I really like these speakers and will have a hard time replacing them, even though I know the new gear is superior, particularly for theater.
It is nice to actually have a thread where I can talk about old gear without being urged to upgrade. Well done, Geno.

Roy

Geno

Supporting Actor
Well now I feel a bit GUILTY. The whole reason was to have him let go of his VOT's when he moved so I could keep them for myself !!!! oops :)
He had owned a hi-fi shop back in the 60's and dreamed of owning VOT's. He finally got a pair about 13 years ago and doesnt want to let go.
And yes, If I had a pair, I wouldnt want to let go either.
thanks for all the encouraging words.
I hope this thread spawns arguments over vintage, vs new.
PS, I wonder if the diy guys would want old altec box plans.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Geno,

Greg Monfort is an Altec freak. He loves their stuff. But you won't find him in the hardware section. He's strictly into DIY these days.

Brian

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
Well I guess while we're on the subject, I have a pair of JBL L150's from 1979 and they are very nice. I may upgrade to something newer in the future, but probably after I upgrade everything else!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks