What's new

Best video game sports player ever? (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/030821.html

This funny article by Bill Simmons got me thinking about who's been the most dominant video game sports star ever. I've got to agree with the Sports Guy and say that Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl is the tops. I remember at one point me and my brother agreed not to play with the Raiders against each other, because it just wasn't fair.

But who else has dominated games like him? Jordan definately took over some games, though can't remember any specific titles. Gretzky ruled every hockey game he was in, but which one was he best in? Who has been the most dominant baseball player, and what game?

Discuss.

Ryan_Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Play with Jerry West in NBA 2k3. The man does not miss a 3-point shot. Double team him, triple team him. Every shot goes in. Any other man in video game sports history is mediocre compared to him.

Bo Jackson was good, but you could stop him if you played with the Bears.

Barry Sanders was also very difficult to stop in Madden NFL 94.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
What a great link! That brought me right back to those days of Tecmo Bowl. Still the greatest football game IMO.
In the story, the writer remembers the play (that we all did) of running Bo back to his own 1 yard line and then busting forward for a 99 yard run.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Bo Jackson...I get a tear in my eye when I think about him and my beloved Auburn Tigers.

*runs off crying*

;)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I actually got to meet Bo a few years back and told him that he was the most dominant video game figure ever. He laughed and said he gets that all the time.

Other than Video Bo, Id have to go with the above mention of Barry from Madden 94, also Randy Moss from his first year, I think it was 99, and by far, the create your own player mode from Triple Play in either 96 or 97. It was insane. You could bump his stats to full in every category, without codes or cheats, and he would hit 600 foot homeruns everytime at bat. Awesome to see, just awesome.

Normal players, definately Video Bo.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I could not agree more. Jackson is untouchable in Tecmo. As I'm sure Gary can attest to Ray Allen is untstoppable in Nba 2k3 :D

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Ok I have a few:
My hockey man
Theo Fluery NHL 94
Then the greatest hockey nemesis who the computer loved to cheat for Jeremy Roenick NHL 94
Even the movie "Swingers" has a scene in it where they complain about the computer favoring Roenick.

Then NBA Live 95 and Coach K College Basketball had a great design flaw in them.
There were certain players in each of those games that literally could not miss from the three point line.
Here are the players I discovered:
NBA Live
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shawn Kemp
David Robinson

Coach K
Samaki Walker
Joe Smith
The entire Wake Forest squad including Tim Duncan except for their highest rated player superstar point guard Randolph Childress.

Wake Forest rocked in this game they were rated 29 out of 32 teams but once I discovered this error they couldn't be touched. In a typical game I would hit 95% of my threes and make 40 to 50 of them.

Has anyone else found that teh highest rated team in the game is never really the best team. Usually there is some diamond in the rough that turns out to be just great. My latest example would be the San Diego Chargers in Madden 03, they are very nice but not rated too highly.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I don't remember which game it was, but one of the 2002 NBA games for the PS2 had Dr. J. That guy is unstoppable.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Not that this game had any "player" per se, but did anybody play Double Dribble for the NES? You could literally launch threes while flying out of bounds in the corner all day. You'd never miss! So let's just call that guy Isiah Thomas :D

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bo Jackson was not just unstoppable in Tecmo Bowl. He was also pretty tough in one of the early renditions of EA Sports' college football franchise -- as was Herschel Walker for Georgia.

My cousin and I would play Auburn '82 (with Jackson) vs. Georgia '80 (with Walker) for hours on end. The only play you ever had to call, for either team, was student-body right (or left, if you were feeling especially creative.) It was a near-guaranteed 7-15 yards. We would run up scores of 80-72, etc. with those two players and that one play.

When NCAA Football 2004 came out and we started playing online, we searched in vain for a way to recreate those battles. Too bad you can't use classic teams online. . .

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Not that this game had any "player" per se, but did anybody play Double Dribble for the NES? You could literally launch threes while flying out of bounds in the corner all day. You'd never miss! So let's just call that guy Isiah Thomas
Ah, I remember that shot well. I used that shot all the time. It sure made people you were playing against mad.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
EA's NHL '94 for the Sega CD was hockey gaming perfection for its time. I remember back in those days, they weren't EA Sports titles, but rather EASN games. Guess ESPN thought that was a bit too close to their name for comfort.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Vick is pretty insane in this year's Madden. Like 94 speed. Faster than most receivers.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't why, but this thread all of a sudden reminded me of Swingers when they tried to make Gretzky's head bleed.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
James, totally. Though, not to sound like a nerd, I *think* they were actually playing NHL 93 though I can't be sure without popping in the movie. The only reason why I think this is because NHL 94 was licensed by the NHL(so it had the real team names and not just city names) but NOT the players union(so the players didn't have names just numbers). Also, the scoreboard was different than NHL 93. In NHL 93, it was NHLPA licensed but not NHL licensed so it had player names but not the real team names(just cities). Man, if I'm right I'm such a nerd :)

Joel~Solid

Agent
James, totally. Though, not to sound like a nerd, I *think* they were actually playing NHL 93 though I can't be sure without popping in the movie. The only reason why I think this is because NHL 94 was licensed by the NHL(so it had the real team names and not just city names) but NOT the players union(so the players didn't have names just numbers). Also, the scoreboard was different than NHL 93. In NHL 93, it was NHLPA licensed but not NHL licensed so it had player names but not the real team names(just cities). Man, if I'm right I'm such a nerd
Dude you are COMPLETELY right. And yes Jeremy Roenick was simply a madman in NHLPA 93 Genesis.

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks