best video editing software ????

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tom#B, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone give me some personal input on what you believe is the best video editing software? I'm not looking to spend $700 on Adobe or anything really expensive. I have home videos that I've transferred to my PC, and I want the ability to makes some cuts, add some nice transitions, maybe add some music, and burn to DVD. I read somewhere that Ulead 8.0 is quite good. You can get it for around $78 from newegg.com. That sounds very reasonable. Any other suggestions? Has anyone used Ulead?

My new Dell PC came preloaded with the MyDVD program. I'm having a tough time with something as simple as cutting out portions of the video here and there. Any suggestions? If that program is worth using, I'd love to find a web site for help or a MyDVD for Dummies book or something. Even the help screens within the program are not very clear.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

You want the best, you want Premiere or Vegas.

I use Sony (Screenblast) Movie Studio, does just what you want, not too expensive, usually gets better ratings than Ulead or Pinnacle's entry level stuff.

I haven't tried Premiere Elements, that could be a contendah too.

3. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Elinor. Is that version 3.0 of Screenblast? I'm having a hard time finding e-tailers who sell it.

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I'm still using vers. 2.

It looks like Sony changed the name to Vegas Movie Studio ... I think ScreenBlast MS vers. 3 was the last version published under the Screenblast name. You're right, Screenblast 3 doesn't appear to be available any more.

Vegas (full fledged version) is one of the absolute top notch editing programs out there. If they are using it as the basis of MovieStudio now, I'd bet it really kicks butt. I might have to look at upgrading....

Btw, you can even try Microsoft's Movie Maker, it is considered pretty good for entry level stuff ... and I think it's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...r/default.mspx

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am using Ulead right now (I think it's version 7 -- it came with my burner). It works well for editing. There are a lot of built-in scene transitions, and it does allow you to overlay music tracks -- although I have not tried that. However, rendering and burning are a pain in the rear compared to my standalone Panasonic E80 DVD recorder. Unfortunately, the E80's editing functions are extremely limited, and I wanted to make something a little nicer from some of our home videos.

6. Jordan_Brulotte

Jordan_Brulotte Stunt Coordinator

"top end" would be something like Avid.

I personally use Vegas Video. It is FAR superior to premiere (which I used for years). It also has exactly the same layout as sound forge (made also by sonic foundry, now owned by sony) so using both in conjunction is awesome. I definately recommend Vegas to anyone!

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Add another for Vegas. I use it for broadcast productions now. Powerful program, with a very intuitive layout. One aspect of Vegas that puts it above nearly every other editor is its audio features. Top notch. It is my preferred editor and I've used a true Avid system, Avid Express, Discreet Edit, Final Cut Pro, and Premiere. If you want something that is cheap and will probably do everything you want, easily, then I highly recommend the consumer version, Vegas Movie Studio.

As an alternative, I have a friend that isn't into editing at all and got Pinnacle studio 9. He has done some pretty cool stuff with it and found it very easy to work with, from capturing to burning the dvd.

8. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Adobe Premiere Elements is also out. Like Photoshop Elements it basically packages the full professional app in a simpler interface with high-end functionality stripped out.