What's new

Best versions of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just bought the Book of the Dead edition (minus the elaborate cover...I got the version in a normal amaray) of The Evil Dead, and I really like the movie! I'm ready to see the next two films, but I'm confused to which is the best one out of the countless editions.

Which version of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness should I buy for best quality?

Cary T

Screenwriter
You can find the infomation by doing a simply search, but if don't have time for that...
The keepcase Anchor Bay edition of Evil Dead II
The Director's Cut of Army OF Darkness (aka. Bootleg Edition)
However, if you can find the tin Evil Dead II or the 2-disc limited edition of AoD for a reasonable price :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry to hear that you didn't get the actual book that comes with the first film, it's one of the coolest covers of a dvd ever created!
The 'Bootleg edition' of 'AoD' is great and is the preferred way to see the film, however a word of warning though, the video quality is substantially lower than the Anchor Bay theatrical cut of the film. It REALLY does resemble a bootleg sometimes!
The Anchor Bay keepcase edition of 'ED2' is outstanding.
Is this going to be your first time with these films? If so I envy you, I wish I could rediscover these classics like it was my first time again! :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Your best bet would be to get the EVIL DEAD II SE from Anchor Bay, and then buy both the AB Bootleg Edition and the AB theatrical edition of ARMY OF DARKNESS. I own the EVIL DEAD II limited edition tin and the ARMY OF DARKNESS limited edition 2 disc set, and I treasure them, but I don't think you can find these awesome LEs for sale anymore, so your best bet would be to do as I said above.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It is missing the 30 minute "fan" documentary and obviously the extra pages in the book, but it is about 30 bucks cheaper.
It's not The Book of the Dead edition now is it? It's just the regular Anchor Bay edition (just like the old Elite CE, just with an anamorphic transfer and DD and DTS). You're also missing a 15 minute featurette on the film in the UK.
And if you look hard enough, the Book of the Dead edition is only $15 more than the regular edition.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
The Bruce Campbell Fanalysis documentary is great. One of the few extras I've watched repeatedly on any DVD that I own.

Trevor H

Second Unit
I have the Book of the Dead edition, and while I really like the cool packaging and special features I hate that they felt the need to format the movie to 1.85:1, that is why I only watch the Elite version of the movie because it is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.33:1
What gets me is that here on the HTF we are supposed to be advocates of OAR, when a widescreen movie is released in pan & scan we freak yet when a 1.33:1 movie is "panned & scanned" to fit our widescreen TV's that is alright, well I don't think so.

I have the 2-disc Army of Darkness Ltd Ed and I actually prefer the theatrical version because of the S-Mart ending, which I think is one of the coolest parts of the movie.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
because it is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.33:1
And here we go again. The film's original theatrical aspect ratio is 1.66:1. On video, it has always been open matte at 1.33:1. Sam Raimi always wanted the film at 1.85:1 (he just didn't have the money to pay for wider mattes), so when Anchor Bay was planning their special edition of the film, Raimi was too busy with Spiderman so sent in Bruce Campbell to supervise the matting of the film to 1.85:1.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
As Mr. Chmiel stated... it is well documented that during shooting, Evil Dead was composed for 1.66:1 OAR, then it was recomposed by Mr. Ash (Bruce Campbell) at 1.85:1 with the blessing of Mr. Raimi for the new Anchor Bay DVD. :p)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

And the two great easter eggs (the gory makeup test and interviews). Well worth the money for the book.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey guys -
i just picked up the army of darkness: directors cut at my used dvd store. it's numbered on the back. the cover looks like this:

for 10 bucks i figure i couldn't go wrong. but the packaging is a little frayed around the edges, so i went to best buy and noticed they had the "bootleg" version for about 15 bucks...i think...
so, my obvious question is...is there any difference between the two and is the directors cut (which is numbered...which of course probably means nothing) worth keeping?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks