What's new

Best VCR source for digital archiving of home videos (1 Viewer)

davidClayton

Auditioning
I would like to make a digital archive of all my aging VHS home videos. I only want to do this once, and so I want to do the best job that I can.

I am wondering, what is the best VCR source to use? I would like to buy a new VCR that has a nice comb filter. I think I should use a TBC (Time Base Corrector), although I don't know if an internal TBC will suffice or if I should purchase an external one. I notice that the new JVC D-VHS HM-DT100U and HM-DH5U both incorporate a comb filter and a TBC. I've never used one of these, but in theory, I would be able to output the iLink stream directly to my computer and there would be no need for me to purchase a video capture device.

I notice that Mitsubishi's top-of-the-line VCR (HS-HD2000U) is a D-VHS unit that incorporates a comb filter and a TBC. Generally, I prefer Mitsubishi VCRs over JVC, but this Mitsubishi model is two years old, and I think perhaps the new JVCs might be better.

I am wondering if anyone has any input that could help me make --not just satisfactory, but the BEST digital copies of my family home videos possible.

Thanks,

Dave

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I have started to archive some of my VHS to DVD.

I am using a basic SVHS deck from JVC, seems to give acceptable results for me. I'm just using a mini DVD Sony camcorder to do it though.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The best decks to use for playback Panasonic AG-1980, Sony 1000, and then the nicer JVC's and Mitsu's that have TBC... the 7xxx & 9xxx JVC models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks