1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best VCR for recording tv shows?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Fee, Sep 3, 2001.

1. John_Fee

John_Fee Auditioning

Hey all,
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the Best VCR for recording tv shows? I want decently good picture quailty (I know it wont be dvd quailty) but what are some good SVHS VCRs? any suggestions? Thaks

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I've always been partial to JVC S-VHS units, with Mitsubishi running a close second (I found the Mits give me a slightly darker picture.)
    However, I recently upgraded to a Dish Network system and it came with a Model 501 PVR (Personal Video Recorder) that stores the material on a Hard Drive and the picture quality is amazing. It actually stores the signal that comes off of the dish with no tape involved. If you want to archive something you can then dunp it to tape.
    If you don't have access to DISH you might want to also look at TiVo or Replay as other options, unless a VCR is a must.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

3. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I agree. I have a Tivo, and it has changed everything about the way I watch (and record) TV shows. I still use a VCR - the JVC S-VHS models are all very well thought of.
    I see you're from Greeneville. I'm right up the road from you!
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

For strictly time shifting, a Tivo is going to beat any vcr going. If all your recording is off satellite, one of the DirecTivo units will record up to 30 hours and playback at the same quality as the original broadcast.
    If some or all of your TV is still cable or OTA, a standalone Tivo at the next to worst picture quality setting will about equal a JVC S-VHS unit (I own both). This picture quality setting allows for about 20 hours of recording, and anything you want to keep permanently can be downloaded to a vcr.
    The main benefit of Tivo is the ease of use and the numerous functions it has for searching out programs for you to record.
    If you still want to stick with a vcr, get one of the S-VHS JVCs with a 3DYC comb filter-the 7800 or 9800. These also have some digital tricks and such that clean up poor signals a lot.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

I'll echo the comments about TiVo. If you're using the VCR for time-shifting, it's the way to go. I've hardly touched my VCR since I got one.
    -Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Home Theater Gear

6. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

TIVO, TIVO, TIVO. My two S-VHS decks in the rack have been used maybe two hours in the last year thanks to TiVo. Once you've TiVo'ed you'll never go back to more primitive things like VCR's or live broadcast. It seems pricey, but it IS worth every darned cent.

7. Will Pons

Will Pons Auditioning

If all the recording you anticipate is off of the Dish Satellite, does the Tivo offer any advantages over the Dish PVR? Thanks.

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Irritating problems with a few VCR's I don't know which, you should try to record a 5 minute show in the store before buying the VCR.
    1. When checking to see what is going to be recorded (program review) the screen switches to the next one all by itself before you can read what it says for this program. Some older Toshibas including a top Consumer Reports rated model did this. If you press delete to get rid of something you no longer want to record, it might delete the next one because it switched at the very moment you pressed delete.
    2. Having to keep pressing the button to get to the time you want, for example it is now 9 am and you want to record something starting at 9 PM. Or it takes forever to count up to the hour you want to start at.
    3. Channel selection is slow even if you hold down the channel up/down buttton.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 04, 2001 at 11:51 AM]