Best VCR for EP speed playback?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Blake Comeaux, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux Stunt Coordinator

When it comes to playing back tapes recorded in EP mode on other VCRs, do the VCRs really vary in quality? I have some old TV shows on VHS from years ago and am trying to put them onto DVD and want the best picture I can get from these low quality recordings. I already have TBC in my DVD recorder. Thanks.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    VCR's with 19 micron e.p. heads have a theoretical advantage. When it comes to the real world they might not. The VCR that would most likely playback the tapes best is the one that made them, if it stille functions. Maybe you should even consider paying somebody to makr the DVD's. I know of one place here in Knoxville that uses a Panasonic Proline AG-1980 for all VHS and S-VHS playback, a major advantage IMO. However, it's an expensive VCR and not very practical for you to buy just for this.

Other than the Nicer JVC S-VHS decks and the Mitsu S-VHS, the rest of what's on the market are purr-dy generically poor. It's like pick your poison from the lot. I'd atleast look for 19 micron heads.... Good luck!

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Rachael, I have some older JVC VHS vcr's that have an "Edit Switch" on them & when I use them for dubbing tapes they always come out better using it. I think they turn off the HQ Circuits or parts of the HQ Circuits? Do you know if there are any Consumer Models that stiil have an "Edit Switch" on them besides Expensive Editing VCR's? Thanks.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Bill, I don't know. I've not had that function on my decks. They have stuff like R3 & Video stabilizer & TBC. The Edit Function might be a combination of processing modes lumped together? Which I know not??? The only lesser JVC I've had was the 3500. If it had such a function I never noticed. I've since given it to a nephew so I can't go look. I don't think it's been on the 7xxx & 9xxx decks, none of the ones I've had/have, anyway.

The cheap-ass VCR's I see for sale everywhere proably don't have it. JVC proably doesn't bother either on the low-margain, POS stuff they offer these days. They've done nothing but cut features and prices the last few years. I'm glad I'm not looking for a VCR! Good luck![​IMG]

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Bill, I was editing video 2-nite and I found an EDIT function buried deep in my 9800's menu. I didn't see any difference in using it or not. I just use the 9800 as a feeder. I don't record with it. I didn't stop to read the manual either....I had work to do. Best wishes!

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Edit mode on the JVC decks turns off all video processing (edge enhancements, sharpness/softness, digital processing) so its as raw as possible for copying to another VCR.