1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Value Toshiba 50HDX82 or Hitachi 51SWX20B?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Macri, Dec 15, 2002.

1. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

I can buy a Toshiba 50HDX82 for $500 less than a Hitachi 51SWX20B. Both seem to have similar feature sets, but I've heard the 51SWX20B has a superior picture. I plan to keep the set for quite a while (or risk a divorce).

Is the Hitachi worth the extra $500?

2. Jon Sciabica

Jon Sciabica Agent

in a word... YES
    I own the Hitachi and couldn't be more pleased with it.

3. Peter Patentcad

I own the 57" version of the Hitachi which cost me $2840 including sales tax (about $170), AND delivery ($75). If you back out those items, I paid $2600, and at a very reputable NY area retailer (P.C. Richard, I have purchased my last three TV's there, great price matching, zero grief or games). The salesman also included a five year service contract without any prodding from me, which shocked me (I presume they were trying to hit a quota of service contracts to win some bonus or contest). The Hitachi has a spectacular picture, particularly with DVD's. (see my other thread regarding DVD quality and big screen TV's). So I'm biased. That being said, I saw the Toshiba in the stores and was impressed. If money is an issue, it's still an excellent choice. I don't think the price differential is $500 however, at least where I am. I think that the 51" Hitachi can be had here in the NY area for $2300 or so which is only $250-$300 more than that Toshiba sells for.

4. daneli

daneli Extra

While I can not argue that the Hitachi has a superb DVD picture quality, It must be said that it does not do somethings as well as the Toshiba (Stretch Modes)

Both sets are not without flaws and I personally optioned for the $ savings and the quirks of the Toshiba..

Eli

5. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

The Tosh 50HDX82 is $1769; the Hitachi 51SWX20B is $2249.

There is the dilemma... Will I really notice the difference.

6. daneli

daneli Extra

It's a tough call, I went through the same thing myself...

I actually had the Hitachi home and ended up returning it because it was not without issue.

As you will find out by reading the forums each manufacturer has its own set of shortcomings and selecting an RPTV comes down to which set of shortcomings can you live with most. Whether it be price, stretch modes, resolution, or color decoder you have to define your viewing habits and try to match the set which best fits your criteria.

Eli

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I can't speak on the Hitachi, but I do love my 42" Tosh.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with either set.

Jan