What's new

Best used CD player for < $500. (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
Sorry if this repeat of a thread that comes up often. I did a search but didn't find anything. Anyway, I am looking for the best sounding CD player in this price range. It can be a single disc player and can play SACD also , however, I don't have any SACD's at this time and for me to buy a SACD of something I already have on CD then it would have to be really good. I understand that their isn't that much out on SACD anyway. I have seen lots of used players on EBAY and Audiogon but I don't know what I am looking at. What would you suggest?

Soumitro Tagore

Auditioning
The NAD C541i is a great player that you can get new for around $400.
The Rotel RCD-1070 can be picked up used for around $500 and is another great player.
Another sub $500 player that gets rave reviews is the Music Hall MMF-25.

Musical Fidelity A3 is one of the players at the next level up and can be picked up used for around $650-$700.

If $500 is a hard, upper limit, I would recommend getting the NAD C541i.

None of these play SACD, btw. If you need a SACD player, you might want to check out the Pioneer 563A universal player available for around $175 new.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm picking up a NAD c541i or c521i. They have received very good reviews. They both sounded very good for the price. The c541i was very good sounding. Very clean and detailed. I listen to a couple of other cd player in the $2000cnd range and the NADs held there own. I put a deposit down on a c521i already. They were sold out of both and I can change my mind once they arrive. Might go with the c541i for it better DACs and HDCD decoding. FYI, I got quoted $600cnd for the c541i, and $400cnd for the c521i. Both with 7% tax included. This equals to a %17 and %20 discount off retail.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Thanks,
I have seriously looked the NAD's. I really don't know what the difference is in the 541 and the 521 though.
Do they sound any different?

MikeVM

Grip
Picked up a c521i myself. Good discounts available on NAD stuff from Saturday Audio. Got the 521 for 199 + 25 ship.

saturdayaudio.com

-Mike

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
They sounded very similar. And this was on a couple of HDCD ecoded disc. The c541i seem smoother and more detailed then the c521i. They might sound the same if your using it as a transport and by passing the internal DACs. Since most of the new chinese CD coming out are HDCD encoded, I might as well get a c541i. I'm going to relisten to them before I buy.

David Judah

Screenwriter
You also might consider the Sony 222 ES or 555 ES CD/SACD players. They are well built and are good performers for Red Book and SACD.

They were pretty expensive when they first came out, but can now be found for a reasonable sum on the used market.

DJ

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up the 222 off Audiogon for $300 used and it is an excellent player. You may still be able to get the 222 new from a few vendors who still had some left over inventory for $500.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Musical Fidelity A3 is one of the players at the next level up and can be picked up used for around $650-$700.
I too was going to suggest this player if you can afford it. I've had mine for a almost 2 years now and it is one of the most solid pieces in my system, both physically and quality-wise. It is a revealing player as far as musical details, but is also forgiving of lesser-quality recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks