Best used CD player for < $500.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EdNichols, Nov 11, 2003.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Sorry if this repeat of a thread that comes up often. I did a search but didn't find anything. Anyway, I am looking for the best sounding CD player in this price range. It can be a single disc player and can play SACD also , however, I don't have any SACD's at this time and for me to buy a SACD of something I already have on CD then it would have to be really good. I understand that their isn't that much out on SACD anyway. I have seen lots of used players on EBAY and Audiogon but I don't know what I am looking at. What would you suggest?

2. Soumitro Tagore

Soumitro Tagore Auditioning

The NAD C541i is a great player that you can get new for around $400.
    The Rotel RCD-1070 can be picked up used for around $500 and is another great player.
    Another sub $500 player that gets rave reviews is the Music Hall MMF-25.

Musical Fidelity A3 is one of the players at the next level up and can be picked up used for around $650-$700.

If $500 is a hard, upper limit, I would recommend getting the NAD C541i.

None of these play SACD, btw. If you need a SACD player, you might want to check out the Pioneer 563A universal player available for around $175 new.

3. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I'm picking up a NAD c541i or c521i. They have received very good reviews. They both sounded very good for the price. The c541i was very good sounding. Very clean and detailed. I listen to a couple of other cd player in the $2000cnd range and the NADs held there own. I put a deposit down on a c521i already. They were sold out of both and I can change my mind once they arrive. Might go with the c541i for it better DACs and HDCD decoding. FYI, I got quoted $600cnd for the c541i, and $400cnd for the c521i. Both with 7% tax included. This equals to a %17 and %20 discount off retail.

4. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks,
    I have seriously looked the NAD's. I really don't know what the difference is in the 541 and the 521 though.
    Do they sound any different?

5. MikeVM

MikeVM Extra

Picked up a c521i myself. Good discounts available on NAD stuff from Saturday Audio. Got the 521 for 199 + 25 ship.

saturdayaudio.com

-Mike

6. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

They sounded very similar. And this was on a couple of HDCD ecoded disc. The c541i seem smoother and more detailed then the c521i. They might sound the same if your using it as a transport and by passing the internal DACs. Since most of the new chinese CD coming out are HDCD encoded, I might as well get a c541i. I'm going to relisten to them before I buy.

7. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I think the 521 doesn't decode HDCDs whereas the 541 does

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You also might consider the Sony 222 ES or 555 ES CD/SACD players. They are well built and are good performers for Red Book and SACD.

They were pretty expensive when they first came out, but can now be found for a reasonable sum on the used market.

DJ

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up the 222 off Audiogon for $300 used and it is an excellent player. You may still be able to get the 222 new from a few vendors who still had some left over inventory for $500.

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer