What's new

Best use of $2500 (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'm putting together a system for a pretty large room (about 20' x 30'). In a space that big, I know seperates are the way to go, but I'm wondering what (or if) components would work best in the $2000 - $2500 range.

I'd really like to go with a 6 or 7 channel setup. I know there aren't a ton of pre/pro's that do those formats, so I'm fine with using a reciever and adding amps.

Any suggestions?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If it ever starts shipping again I would recommend the Outlaw 950/770 combo for 2500. For the combination price its hard to beat and I guarantee it would fill your room with sound (assuming you don't own Bose speakers :)).

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If I had that money I'd get the Rotel RSP-1066 and use the rest of the budget on a nice 5 channel amp + 2 channel amp.

Then of course there's receivers like the Pioneer Elite and Denon.

I'd decide what features and functions you want, and see if the pre/pros have them. If the Outlaw or Rotel doesn't fit your needs then an integrated receiver probably will. You may get better sound from separates though.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about Outlaw, but I'm kind of working on with a time limit, so I don't think I'd be helping myself by going with them (on the time part anyhow, I'm sure the product is wonderful).

I'm putting this system together for some out of the country friends, and I'm supposed to be taking everything to them and setting up in October or November. I'd hate to order from Outlaw and it not come in time.

Just to clarify, the folks that will be using this system aren't audiophiles by any means. They want something nice and they have pretty good money to put on it. So really they won't know good sound from great sound, so that's really not as important as it would be to some. I'm having to keep ease of use in mind as well.
If I thought I could get something powerful enough, I'd just get a reciever, but I don't think I could find one that would work well in that large a room.

Any other suggestions?

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I second the Outlaw 770/950 combo. Outlaw is supposed to start shipping August 4th.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would recommmend the RSP1066, where you can find one for #1250 shipped in the classifieds section here, and look for a Rotel 100-150 WPC 5 channel amp from either rotel, anthem, etc, and a Rotel 991 for your mains. If you buy all this stuff used, you are looking at around $2200-2500 for a downright sick setup. If you are looking for a little more high end amps, then you can always look for a used proceed, b&k, sunfire, etc. Your choices for amplification are almost endless. Good luck

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I would suggest
a Harman Kardon AVR520 7.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver With Dolby® Digital, DTS®, Logic 7®, VMAx® and HDCD® Decoding
http://www.harmankardon.com/product....R%20520&sType=
with the AMC 2N100-5 (150wpc x 5)
http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer...Category_Code=
and AMC 2100 (100wpc x 2 @ 4 ohms)
http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer...Category_Code=
List price is $2848
Streetable for $1600-$1700 easy.
If your friends are not audiophiles this is actually "overkill" but it (depending on speaker selection) could allow them to get serious without having to upgrade and does so "under budget"
If you aren't planning on VMPS speakers you should.
What speakers were you planning on "lighting up" with this rig?
John

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Total or each piece?

For movies on 7.1 channels you cannot beat Lexicon preamp/processors. Period. Used DC-1s with DTS and the v4 software are under $1500 a pop.

New, your choices are more limited. Without their power amplifers, the Denon receivers allegedly don't suck. Adcom, Outlaw, and Rotel all have affordable preamp/processors.

Adcom, Outlaw, Parsound, and Rotel all have affordable power amplifiers. Used, a stack of stereo power amps will do wonders for you. New, most have a 5 channel amp that is inexepsive and "decent" and Outlaw has a 7-channel.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
"would work best in the $2000 - $2500 range".

"I'd really like to go with a 6 or 7 channel setup".

Unless you buy used (which since your buying/designing for someone else may/may not be an issue), the Outlaw combo seems like the only one that may make budget. Add the "6 or 7" cables you will need and theres another couple hundred. You should contact Scott at Outlaw and let him know your time frame. If its October, most likely he can tell you some good news.

The Rotel + any other "new" amp and your over budget and haven't looked at cables yet.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw combo would certainly fit. Denon 3802 and a Parasound or Sherwood amp should be on your list.

There is also a lot more options if you were to consider the used market. If you are going to consider the used route the I would also look at getting the Denon 4802 online and then and a nice used 5 channel amp.

If you purchase with some Amex cards they will double the manufacture warrenty so you won't even have to worry.

Just my .02 cents

Michael

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'm not trying to get cables out of the $2500. Cables will be a separate part of the budget.

Are there not some issues with the Denon 3802?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Mike,

Here is what you want for $5000 (or less)

- Harman Kardon AVR 520 - $999 list
- AMC 2100 $499 list (100 wpc x 2 for mains while re-directing the onboard pair to the 7.1 surrounds)
- AudioSource 5.3 monobloc List $299 list(250 wpc for SUB)
- VMPS Tower II Mains ($1280 list like buying a great speaker and getting two subs free, since they go down to 22Hz)
- VMPS QSO 626 center $349 list
- VMPS QSO 626 side and rear surrounds $698 pr list
- VMPS LARGER SUB $699 list

This system "lists" for $5521

That system is "streetable" for $4000 plus shipping

add $350 worth of good speaker cable and interconnects and $300 for shipping and you have a "BIG TIME" 7.1 system for less than the $5000 and effectively three SUBS which you may need for that room size.

(You might even have said that the subs were not figured in the budget. In that case, add another VMPS LARGER w/amp and you are still in the $5000 area)

The speakers are all 4 ohm which means the 100wpc is now 150+ for the mains and the 75 under-rated HK watts are now well over 100+ each.

It would be very difficult to beat this system for overall power, functionality and flexibility. It would also be hard to beat this as a musical system (could even be considered audiophile) for less than $10,000.

I have four of those speakers listed in the HTF "equipment for sale" section, (Tower II, LARGER SUB, and QSO 626 center) but the pricing I refer to, is available for brand new equiment on the street.

Your friends will thank you for it.

Regards,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks