What's new

Best upgrade path (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm starting with basically 'entry level' stuff (Sony 27" TV and Aiwa 5 channel stereo :frowning:.) Should I start with audio or the TV? The end goal is to have a nice home theater. I'm kind of thinking that I ought to start with audio 'cause I can build it a portion at a time. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Go with which ever you are least satisfied with in you current set up. :)

Taking it a piece at a time is not a bad way to go. No need to get all the speakers at the same time, etc.

I think you sort of made your decision or at least have a direction on what you want to start with. So I will then say go with the audio first. :)

It doesn't really matter what you start with.

If your receiver is not horrible, a good start can be speakers.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
While I agree with Mike's suggestions, I would add determining a budget first and sticking to it. You can easily spend a lot more than you need to, or even more than you should on upgrades. Trust me on this one!;)

NEVER get in over your head on any of this stuff! No matter how good it looks or sounds, keep everything within reason. You'll be much better off in the long run.

So...What's your budget?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Both of course!! lol
Seriously, you'll get opinions both ways on this.

I mean, a question like this ultimately comes down to budget.

Here is an impressive Onkyo full system for $279:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...email,ewb04873

And I see that there are quite great 43" Philips HDTV's available for $960 here:
www.electronicsalley.com

Personally, I would probably do the HDTV first, but given your current system, if I had the available credit on a card somewhere, I'd do both of those, and call it done.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Rob,

i would say start with audio because the technology doesn't change as much with speakers

by the time you are done upgrading the sound, you will be able to get better video stuff for less than it is now...

just a suggestion

Mike

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
To add on Mike W's comments...

Your speakers will probably last the longest in the system, so I'd say start with them. Video and Audio component technology is moving right along and getting cheaper by the day. I got a DTS ES discrete DD EX matrixed receiver about a year ago which was around $400. Now they have discrete 6.1 for both formats for like $300. And on the video front, the Sony 36'' Hi-Scan TV just dropped $200 since the beginning of the month. Mean while the front speakers I got 5 years ago still sound great and would be about the same price if I bought them today (if they still make them).

But then there is also the urge to upgrade the worst piece in your system... And it soundsl ike it might be your speakers, so that's a win/win situation!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - i would go with teh audio first - maybe a good receiver + 2 mains. If you posted in the Video / Display section, you might get opposing opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks