Best universal remote for $200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertCharlotte, Mar 7, 2002.

1. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I've got a budget of about US$200 and I want to get the most for my money.
    Flexibility and usability are tops on my want list. I'm thinking touch-screen just because that seems to meet those wants the best, but I'm open to suggestions. I have no RF-controlled equipment, but I do have the Kenwood VR-507 receiver, which I have gathered from experience is somewhat picky about what remote it will listen to. [​IMG]

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I think the problem is which learning remotes will listen to the Kenwood codes.
    Anyway, the Pronto TSU-2000 can be had for around $250 and uses the UEC code database. This basically means that if you can use a One-For-All with your gear, the Pronto should also work. Another possibility is the ProntoNEO or the Marantz RC3200.
    I cannot emphasize how nice the Pronto family of remotes is. The ability to put a macro anywhere means that you can truly make your system easy to use for *anyone*. Yes the programming is time consuming, but it can be great fun also.
    Anyway, check out Remote Central; it has many reviews of different remotes and active discussion boards if you have any questions about a particular remote.

3. RobertCharlotte

I've looked around a bit at Remote Central. Boy, that Marantz sure got a lousy user review, though!

The ProntoNEO is on my short list, I'm just a little worried about it's future support. I know a lot of companies don't really like to pay much attention to their "low-end" products later on.

4. ron_kolarovic

ron_kolarovic Auditioning

I'd go with either the Home Theater Master MX-1000 ( ~$210 ) or the MX-500 ( ~$120 ). I have the MX-500 and it's great. Can program/learn up to 10 devices, gobs of macros, and I prefer the discrete button feel ( all buttons can be programmed ) with the flexibility of the LCD to customize the button labels. The MX-1000 has a touchscreen interface which means you have to read the keys, rather than "knowing" the feel of the hard buttons.

5. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Another big vote for the MX500

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Anyone have a link to where you can pick up an MX500 for $120. Seems like a great all in one.

7. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

I have the MX500 and really like it. I very rarely pull out my dedicated remotes.

8. Brian Schucher

9. RobertCharlotte

Read the review for the MX500 and I must say, I'm impressed. I've got a new front-runner now!

10. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

11. JulioL

JulioL Auditioning

Anyone have any suggestions between the MX-500 and the Pronto Neo? They're about $40 apart and I like the style of the Neo as well as the hard buttons it has.

12. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Julio,

There's been quite a bit of unfavorable comment on remotecentral.com vis a vis the NEO. I won't go into a long disertation, if interested you can read it for yourself. Personally, I'd put the MX-500 above the Neo, but since I'm a touch screen type I'd buy either the TSU 2000 or if price was not a huge consideration, the Marantz 5200. But that's just MHO.

Jim L

13. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i would lookat the tc 1000 it was made my harman/kardon but is made by jbl and i say it for 200 on the web a real freat remote i have one

14. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the MX-500 [​IMG] . I purchased mine at rrdeals also.
    You may also want to browse over at www.remotecentral.com for reviews of this remote (and just about every other remote you might want to consider).
    Todd

15. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Another vote for the MX-500! I am loving it.
    [​IMG]

16. Brian Schucher

I had the Take Control by Harmon and it was a complete piece of crap IMHO..

17. VaugnS

VaugnS Auditioning

I have the original Pronto. I just got the Easy Zapper Harmony and I love this remote. It is very easy to use especially for the wife or baby sitter. It really doesn't take all that long to setup, if you have a broadband connection as everything is web based. They have very nice wizards that aid you in getting your system up and running. I was actually surprised at how intuitive it was. They also have excellent customer support and are continually improving the website and the functionality of the remote. Price is $199 and I think a good deal. Satellite, cable and OTA program listings are downloadable to the remote and work very well.

18. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Robert, I have both the Marantz RC3200 (Marantz's version of the ProntoNEO) and a MX-500. Both have their pluses and minuses. The MX-500 is VERY simple to program, very versatile, intuitive and comfortable to the hand. The MX-500 does not have the ability to program or back up your programming from your PC. The RC3200 (ProntoNEO) is simple to program once you get used to the interface on the PC, is easy to back the programming up from, and is very versatile. The RC3200 is NOT as comfortable to the hand as the MX-500, and although it does have a few hard buttons, I much prefer my MX-500 because of the more extensive use of hard buttons. If I am watching a DVD or DirecTV, I rarely look at the MX-500. The RC3200 on the other hand, even though I have programmed it fully to my liking, I still have to look at the screen quite a bit to see where I'm at.

In a nutshell, I prefer the MX-500 (coupled with a Radio Shack 15-1994 to learn discrete codes from of course) to the RC3200. However, if I had bought my Marantz SR8200 receiver w/ RC3200 remote FIRST, I would NOT have purchased the MX-500. I would have been perfectly happy with the RC3200.

Does this make any sense to you?

Good luck, I really don't think you will be unhappy with either model. I purchased my MX-500 from RR Deals, and was very happy with the service.

Pete

19. RobertCharlotte

Thanks, Pete. You might want to pop over to Remote Central' user review page and share your opinions of the 3200 there, because it's got a pretty poor showing there right now!

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I bought an MX-500 at www.RRdeals.com as well. Randy is great to deal with.