What's new

Best TV/Speakers/Receiver $10,000 (1 Viewer)

reidMccallsc

Auditioning
Hello all,

Haven't been here since I built my last system.
Curious to hear your ideas on the best System for the
following room: 22' x 22' with variable 10'/11.5' ceilings and no rear wall. Viewers will sit 10' to 16' away from TV.

DVD/CD is covered.

I'm thinking Sharp LC-45GD7U, HK 7300, Polk or Klipsch in wall/ceiling.

What's the difference between the 7U and the 6U?

I'd love to hear the best setup for $10,000

John S

Senior HTF Member
You want a what would we buy sort of thing, given the $10K budget?

You can't do front projection on this? I'd want very large screen size myself.

Even if no front projection, I'd be looking at one of these? Or any of the 70" sized products at a min.

Model JVC HD-ILA REAR PROJECTION HDTV LINE WITH THREE DESIGNER PRO 1080P SETS

Approximate
Retail Price
Available
HD-56FH96 $4,000 October 2005
HD-61FH96 $4,500 October 2005
HD-70FH96 $6,000 October 2005

And I'd go for the 70" given your room size.
Leaves plenty of money for a good top notch audio setup.

reidMccallsc

Auditioning
Don't really want bigger that 45".
This room is the great room, not the movie room,
which will be upstairs when I get around to it.
I need something I can mount on an arm, so it needs to be
under 100 pounds and thin.

Is there anything out there as good as the Sharp LC-45GD7U
with a better viewing angle?

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I just put together my HT in my new home. Last time I did this, RPTV's were the best thing going. At any rate, I had a similar budget. I don't want to get a debate going on LCD vs Plasma, but I chose plasma. I guess if you have a alot of reflection and different light sources in your great room, LCD will definitely have less glare. I just thought the picture quality was better in plasma.
I went with a

Pioneer Elite 1130HD (50 inch plasma)
Pioneer Elite VSX72 receiver
Klipsch Reference speakers.

I'm not sure whether the speakers were the best for the buck, but my installer gave me a good discount for the whole package. As for the Elite plasma, it's the brand new line that just came out. I really like it. Retails for about $6500, a bit pricey, but if you can afford it...:)
The receiver is nice too. I was debating on the Denon 3806. Probably can't go wrong either way. I will let the experts debate the better one. They both go for about $1200.
I also looked at the Hitachi Director series. I liked that as well, goes for about $5k for the 50inch. Fujitsu was really nice, but even more expensive than the Elite.

Tell me what you decide to go for. I may change my speaker selection....thinking about it...

yc

reidMccallsc

Auditioning
Good feedback.

I actually saw your tv and receiver in action at a friends house. I was very impressed, I'm just worried about playing games on a plasma. If it weren't for burn in, I'd be settled on plasma.
Funny you went with Klipsch, I'm torn between Klipsch and Polk in-wall/ceiling speakers.
I'm pretty settled on the HK 7300 so I can upconvert signals and dedicate two channels to the porch.

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at the Pioneer web site

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0-%20FINAL.pdf

This is an interesting article concerning LCD vs Plasma.
I play a lot of games on my XBox, and I was concerned as well. They address the burn in issue in the article and conclude that even though burn in exists in plasma, it is only temporary. This was instrumental in my decision to go with plasma. The article appears to be unbiased...even though Pioneer only does plasma and not LCD.
I would hate to ruin a $6k TV with games. As for games, I think plasma does a better job with fast action without the motion blur that even high end LCD's have.

As for the HK avr 7300, sounds like a great receiver. One point I would like to make is the lack of HDMI or DVI connections. You will probably want that as a feature, especially if you invest in a new flat panel display. That's why I went with the Elite. The Denon 3806 has this feature as well. Something to consider. Especially with Blueray/HDDVD format in the near future. By the way, even midrange receivers will have a 2nd zone option for your porch speakers.
YC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks