1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Tv-series options

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Edgler Vess, May 22, 2003.

1. Edgler Vess

Edgler Vess Extra

Hi

I need your help.

I would like to buy some TV-series but I am from outside US and I have never seen one second only of the following:

- C.S.I
    - The Shield
    - Insomniac
    - The Prisoner
    - Dark Angel
    - Son of the beach
    - Homicide

Please recomend the best 2 or 3 and rate all ( 1 up to 10 ).
    They are all very expensive so I need the best options.

You can include other good tv series ( I have seen Sopranos and Twin Peaks recently ; both very good)

thanks in advance

Edgler

2. Alex_zhang

Alex_zhang Auditioning

Meh, You posted this on DVDTalk.com's forums too...

Again, I recommend Six Feet Under instead...

3. Edgler Vess

Edgler Vess Extra

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

The X-Files

5. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

From your list, I really recommend Homicide. I've been waiting for this one to come out for awhile. Quite honestly some of the best TV I've ever seen (well, at least up until season 7, but even that was better than 90% of anything else out there). I can't speak for any of the others on your list, but everyone I've known who's seen the first season of 24 has really liked it.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Edgler. My comments on the series you listed:

·C.S.I. Very well made with a mostly engaging cast. It is a ‘police procedure’ type of series that centers on the crime scene unit, so much so that it becomes pretty easy to think that the CSI members are real detectives. In HD especially this is a very flashy show. Very stylized—almost everything happens in dark rooms where the investigators use flashlights instead of turning on lights. Some of the plots get pretty trite. 7/10.
    ·The Shield. I’m not a fan but it is well liked by many. Basically centers on a cop who regularly bends (and breaks) the law, justifying his actions as necessary to put away criminals, but he of course he also does so strictly out of self-interest. No score as I’m not a regular viewer.
    ·24 Possibly the most unbelievable scripts involving some of the dumbest people ever to grace an action show. Supposedly set in real time, each episode last one hour, the series a whole day. Every hour ends in a crises. The world (or the city) must be saved in one day. Everyone is in peril at some point. On the plus side the series has a lot of energy. Everything just pulses with excitement and a ‘what’s around the next corner’ kind of action. If you like mindless action, you will like this—it’s OK if you never stop to think. 4/10
    ·Insomniac No opinion
    ·The Prisoner One of the best, low-budget series ever, so long as you are not concerned that you don’t know what is going on. Not much action, it is all in one man trying to figure out why he is in an isolated village, with no contact with the outside world. Enigmatic—pretty much the opposite of 24—all talk and no action. 8/10
    ·Dark Angel I like this series probably more than it deserved and certainly more than the viewing public, as it did not last too long. Mostly I was hooked by the concept—that some super powers had been bred into humans by adding some animal (cat) genes. That and the lead was quite sexy. Well executed for a while, but the writers started to run out of ideas and fell back on formula. 7/10
    ·Son of the Beach No opinion
    ·Homicide One of the best cop shows of all time. A ;picture of this series is in the dictionary next to the word ‘gritty’. All of the cops are well-drawn, real people, with strengths and weaknesses (actually most of them have more weaknesses) who change and grow during the series. Undoubtedly the best writing of any of the shows you list. But this is an uncomfortable show for some, as it is quite believable and it is all pretty downbeat. 9/10

Hope that this helps.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I highly reccomend "24".

8. Christopher E

Christopher E Stunt Coordinator

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Of the series mentioned, I have only seen two:

24 - One hell of a rollercoaster ride! Kept me on the edge of my seat throughout- 9/10

The Prisoner - One of the best TV series ever put out there...keep in mind that it is very cerebral..not action oriented fare here. Patrick McGoohan is excellent.- 8.5/10

Enjoy! [​IMG]

10. Mehdy

Mehdy Stunt Coordinator

The prisoner is possbily the best tv series ever made..I cannot tell how much this impacted my when I first saw it on tv...this was the later 60's and I believe it was on during the summer....this show is just as relevant today as it was almost 40 years age..watch one show per day to take it all in...all you need is love.....
    A friend of mine told me get the shield...I bought it...best recommendation...not for the light hearted but gritty and REAL...you just can't watch one show...
    For fun, the osbournes....no, I am not kidding...cheap and
    great fun...it makes you think about your life....No, i dont
    like mtv.....but there is something about this show....get the uncensored version...

11. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to point out that the CSI Season One set is not OAR, if that makes a difference to the original poster.

12. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

13. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

The Shield is an absolute must buy. 10/10. It is one of the best series ever written for television. The writers of that show should have won the Emmy.

CSI 9/10 Very good show. Excellent rewatch value as each ep is self contained.

24 - 7/10 I love the show, bit the replay value is limited. Because there are 24 eps the plot gets stretched thin at times and makes you wish they called the show "18".

May I make another suggestion, you should pick up Law & Order Season 1. It ranks 10/10. It seems to fit with your other choices and is much better than every other choice other than THE SHIELD.

Also, I saw on DVDtalk.com someone recommended Sports Nights. I could not agree more, it gets a 8/10 because it fell apart in Season 2 when Sorkin started spliting time with Sports Night and West Wing.

Just my 2 cents

14. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I would highly recommend 24.

Even better than that though, is Sports Night. In my opinion this is one of the greatest TV series ever created. You can't go wrong with it, plus it's only 50 bucks for the entire series.

Mark: The first time I watched Sports Night, I too thought it fell apart completely in the second season. I just went through last week and re-watched them all and I really enjoyed season 2. I guess my expectations were tempered with the first viewing, so the second time it seemed a lot better.

15. Joseph_mx

Joseph_mx Stunt Coordinator

From your list:

- The Shield

16. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

1) 24 -- 9/10
    1) Homicide -- 9/10
    3) X Files -- 7/10

Dark Angle -- 3/10
    Son of the beach -- 3/10 unless you have a keg of beer on hand [​IMG]

17. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

The Prisoner gets the highest possible recommendation. This show is so good, it's hard to believe it was ever on network TV. Despite the fact it only has 17 episodes, you will find repeat viewings of this show very rewarding.

18. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Homicide - 10/10
    24 - 9/10

I've never watched the others.

19. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Of the series you specified, I'd say the Prisoner is the best series and the dvds are nicely put together. The Sheild and Homicide are both excellent cop series as well and I would highly reccomend them. My highest reccomendation would be for you to pick up the Buffy or Sopranos sets.

20. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I have to second both the Prisoner and 24 in that order. The Prisoner is so good, it's criminal. And what are you waiting for with 24?

Two groundbreaking shows, you can't possible go wrong.