Best TV right now for around $1000?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John_Klimek, May 14, 2005.

1. John_Klimek

John_Klimek Extra

I'm moving out on my own (and getting married soon) and I'm going to need a TV for my living room. I figure that I have around $1000 to spend (maybe a little more) so I'm wondering whats the best one I could get for that price. Ideally I'd like the TV to support 720p and 1080i.

Oh, and I'm moving out in two weeks so I need to buy a TV very soon Smile

Any suggestions for me?

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I'd stick with CRT Tubes for a $1000.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

For $1,000 you can get either a basic 47 inch CRT rear projection set or an excellent but much smaller direct view CRT, like a Sony 30 inch wide screen. A 47 inch screen is going to have a lot more impact than a 30 inch but at the cost of some picture quality. A 30 inch Sony tube will give you as good a picture as you can get.

If you can bump your price point up some, you could get a Sony 34 inch direct view tube. The Sony KV-34HS420 will give you impressive picture quality for under $1,400 in a size that might hold you for a good while.

4. John_Klimek

John_Klimek Extra

I've been talking to the misses (or soon-to-be misses, who will be helping fund the TV purchase) and I've almost gotten her to agree to $1400 on a TV. I've been hearing good things about the Panasonic 47" TV but it MIGHT be too big for our house. Another concern is that it doesn't support native 720p (is that a big deal?)

The 34 inch direct-view Sony for $1400 sounds good. Isn't 34" a bit small though? Does it support native 720p? (again, maybe 720p shouldn't be a big concern for me...?)

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

720 P would be nice but I would not make that my deciding factor. IMHO screen size is the place to start. If you don't have room for a 47 inch CRT PRTV you have a couple other choices.

1) Direct View. Stretch your budget to $1400 for the 34HS420.

2) Consider a projector. Projectors are now available from below $1,000. One guy on the HTF posted about downsizing from a 55 inch RPTV and now is going to get a projector even though he doesn't have a lot of space. IF you can use your stereo for the audio, a projector could work.

Yes, for me a 34 inch 16:9 tube would be way too small. So, all in all, if you can fit the 47 inch Panasonic, that might be the way to go.

6. John S

John S Producer

Look for the deals. I have seen quality 60" CRT RPTV's in that price point.

The other cool option would be ED FP.....

Do not under estimate the overall impact large screen size has on the HT experience.

7. kwagar

kwagar Auditioning

I am currently looking to downsize and sell my TN55X81 RPTV. If you are interested let me know.

Kwagar

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Bigger is not always better, but usually it is...

Have you moved into your new place yet? I would start shopping for a TV, once you have the layout of the room. You might be able to fit a 47".

Don't base your purchease on 720p. There are a few RPTV's that will do 720p and none in your price range.

I have a Panny 47" and its a nice set.

If you can fit it in, its a no brainer.

9. John_Klimek

John_Klimek Extra

I'm actually having a hard time finding the Panasonic 47X54. After checking around 5 stores Circuit City was the only one to carry it and all they had was an open box (eg. display model).

Is it worth it to keep looking for this specific model? ...or are there any other really good models in that price range? (eg. $1400)

Also, with rear-projection its really hard to judge the quality because you need to be looking *straight* on. If you're even slightly to the slide it seems to look blurry and the TV seems to have a glare.

The $2000 DLP TV's are -extremely- nice but as much as I want one, $2000 is too much for me to spend right now.

So... should I keep pursueing that Panasonic 47" or does anybody have any other suggestions for me? The only thing I'll say is that I don't want to go below 40"...

10. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

If you can't find the Panny, I believe that Toshiba makes a 46" set too at around that price range.

Mitsubishi also makes a 48" too.

You will be able to get a good RPTV in your range.

If you have a CostCo nearby, you should check there and see what they have.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Some amazing deals in my area presently -- and that 47-inch Panasonic can be had here for only $900. As was said earlier, a no-brainer.

12. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Jack,

Where have you seen it for $900?

That's a good deal. It makes me want to go out and buy another one [​IMG].

13. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

For a $1,000 the range is pretty wide from RCA, Akai, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi. For about 400 to 500 more (excluding service plans, and you'll need one) you can really step it up to 51 to 57 inche models of the better brands like Sony, Toshiba, Panny and Hitachi. If you have a Sams Club or Costco, they sell last year models at a very reasonable price so shopping can be the skies the limit. My preference and what I went with was the Sony 51 inch model. I saw in a Sears store the floor model was 1,200 which was what I paid for mine new with the discount of a friend who was the manager of Best Buy. Stick with CRT-RPTV, more bang for the buck and make sure it has HDMI for your HDTV or upscaling player or the later coming HD-DVD.

14. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I would stay away from brands like RCA and Akai. I would even stay away from Samsung. Stick with the top brands mention above. I'm not a Sony fan at all, but many people here likes them. If I was shopping for a RPTV right now and Panny wasn't an option, I would either get a Toshiba or Mitsubishi.

CRT RPTV's are still great for the money.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tim, Samsung makes some pretty nice sets. As for that $900 Panny, check out Fried's Electronics.

16. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I just don't trust Samsung. I know they have improved a lot and their DLP's are awesome, but I don't trust them. I hear many bad stories from my tech friend, about waiting months to get a part.

Its like buying a Daewoo [​IMG].

My parents are from Korea. If a Korean doesn't buy Korean products, there is something wrong.

I have never dealt with Samsung before, but after service is terrible with Korean companies.

You never see Toyota or Honda offering 100,000 mile warranty on their cars, because they know that their products can last longer then that. With Hyundai, that 100k warranty is a buffer for the owner when their car fails.

17. John_Klimek

John_Klimek Extra

What do you guys think about the Panasonic 47x54 versus the Hitachi 51f510?

I'm desperately trying to find a good TV for around $1400 or less. (absolutely no more than $1600) I definitely don't want a projector, and I can't afford anything above $1600.

The Panasonic 47x54 seems to have excellent reviews, but I can't find it anywhere. The Hitachi 51f510 also looks nice, but it's bit a larger than I want however it DOES support 720p (and the Panasonic does not). I plan to use my X-BOX and PS2 quite a bit so maybe this is an issue, but maybe not because only a small handful of games actually support 720p.

Ideally I'd like to get what my father has, a Sony Grand Wega 50" LCD TV (that thing is freaking FANTASTIC in HDTV), but that costs $2400 or something like that. It blows rear-projection TVs out of the water and I think it's a technology he will have for many, many years. For the extra $1000 (on top of the current $1600 I plan to spend), it might be worth it for me just to save my money until I can afford this.

So, should I:

1) Keep searching for the Panasonic. It's a good deal at $1200 or $1300 and will hold me over for several years. If I could find this TV for $900 (like Jack said above), then this would be a no-brainer.

2) Buy the Hitachi. It's slightly higher quality and supports 720p. It's worth the extra $300 or $400.

3) Keep my current 27" generic TV and save until I can afford a nice LCD TV. (perhaps price drops are in the future?)

I'm actually getting married (wedding is 100% paid for, luckily for us) and moving into my first apartment. We need to buy all appliances, but I really want to get a TV. My fiance has over $10k saved so I'm not worried about money, but she is. I'm afraid that if I don't buy a good TV now then I won't get one for several years.

What should I do?

18. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

If the soon to be queen of the house will let you, I say go for it and don't walk, RUN, before she changes her mind [​IMG].

I personally don't see a need to get a 720p set. Yes, you can see a difference from 720p vs. 1080i, but almost anything looks good in HD. 1080p is what I want on my next set because it looks amazing, but that is years down the road.

Hitachi is like the top brand of RPTV's goes and even their LCD's. You can't go wrong with a Hitachi.

Now, on a sour note, I have to defend for your soon to be wife. Trust me, you will be house broke for at least 6 months, making payments. If you are renting, its not so much of an issue, but bills are everywhere and that 10k will go fast.

When I first moved into my place, being single, with one income, having unexpected bills every month, I waited until I was somewhat established in my new home.

I spent about 4k-5k at my home theater setup. That includes the TV, 5.1 sound and a high end dvd player. Plus, other gadgets, like remotes, wires and etc. I also spent $600 for ISF Calibration.

I now have the perfect home theater for my needs. My setup is simple and clean.

TV's, like everything else, will always get cheaper. There are some people that will wait till the price drop and there are some that will buy now.

If this purchase gets between you and your soon to be wife, maybe you should rethink your priority and either wait, or buy now.

CRAP, I sound like my dad!!! [​IMG]

19. John_Klimek

John_Klimek Extra

Well, at first the soon-to-be wife was OK with $1000 for a TV, then she was OK with $1400, and now she seems ok with $1600 only because we can't seem to find the Panasonic and she does like the Hitachi.

So you think I should go for the Hitachi over the Panasonic?

I also need a receiver and speakers, but everytime I ask for speaker recommendations I literally get 10 or 15 different responses. (perhaps because I only have $600 to spend on all five speakers [fronts, rears, and a center])

20. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John, first you weren't sure you could fit a 47 inch RPTV ""it MIGHT be too big for our house"" with a budget of $1,000. Now you have room for a 51 inch RPTV and a budget of $1,600.

First, you need to figure out if you have room for a 51 inch CRT RPTV. If not, keep looking for the Panasonic 47. If you have room for a 51 inch. The Sony KP51SW520 is as good as it gets and I believe it does 720P.