Best TV possible for $1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_DS, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ryan_DS

Ryan_DS Auditioning

I'm looking for a TV for my Home Theater and my budget is $1000, $1100 is the absolute max. I would love to pick up a HDTV for this price but i know this may not be reasonable. I would use it for regular TV watching as well as DVD and gaming. Could anyone suggest some options for me?

2. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

Samsung 3096. 30 inch widescreen. but it at best buy or your loval chain store.

3. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Well, there are several HDTV's for around $1000. The HDTV's are from Zenith, Samsung & Philips, & I believe Hitachi (?). From what I know, Best Buy & Sears carries the Samsung HDTV's. Circuit City carries the Zenith & Hitachi HDTV's. I only saw the Philips HDTV listed at Sears website (sears.com).

Online stores such as Amazon.com carries a lot of HDTV's for around $1000 & below.

4. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

If I were stuck with a budget that low, I'd just wait a year and see what trickles down. The economies of scale are just starting to kick in for these sets. I think 04 or 05 will get you a great deal more for your buck on the low end.

And of course in 04 or 05, I'll tell you you should just wait antoher year because things will be even better. And so on... [​IMG]

5. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

for $1k i think you could get a 32" samsung...the 32" has line sqeeuze and will give you the same screen as the 30" samsung on 1.85, a bigger picture on 1.33 (substantially, like 8" or so), but a small picture on 2.35 movies...

hard choice, but if you dont watch too many 2.35 movies and you watch a lot of regular tv, the 32" will be better....

Rich

6. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

A friend asked me the same question today.

I read the answers above, then went looking at BestBuy online for Samsungs.

I found 3 under 1000.

1) Samsung 30" Widescreen DynaFlat HDTV Monitor — TXM-3096WHF
    1080i/480p resolution; Pro Chip Plus line doubler; 16:9 DynaFlat tube; 3-line digital comb filter; invar shadow mask; velocity scan modulation

http://www.bestbuy.com/search/sr02.a...C=1&SV=samsung

2) Samsung 32" DynaFlat HDTV Monitor — TXM-3296HF
    1080i/480p display capability; vertical compression; progressive-scan line doubler; 4:3 DynaFlat dark-tint CRT; 3-line digital comb filter

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=26&e=11101145

3) Samsung 40" 16:9 Enhanced-Definition Analog Television/Monitor — PLH403W
    480p capable; progressive-scan line doubling upgrades regular (analog) TV signals; high-density TFT active-matrix LCD panel (767,520 pixels)

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=25&e=11045289

I guess it would be insane to get 3, because it is analog, lesser resolution and you are hosed for HDTV...

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

well, if you friend doesn't mind upgrading in 2-3 years, choice 3 is good becuase dvd's are only 480p, so edtvi isnt really bad...if your friend wants this tv for a long time, he might want to hold off, as non of the samsungs have dvi i believe. And DVI probably will turn out to be very important.

Rich

8. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Does anyone know if the new Samsung's offer the ability to turn off the velocity modultation like the Sony's do? I'm considering picking up one of those 30" Widescreen sets but i'm concerned about having the velocity modulation on at all times.

Dan.b

9. Jamie^MEE

Jamie^MEE Auditioning

Does anyone have any experience playing a 720p Xbox game on the Samsung 3096,97,98? I've heard that the screen will simply go blank? I was under the impression the game would default to the TVs native format...480p?

Jamie

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

11. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I was recently looking at exactly the same price point. I decided that a 32" 4:3 HDTV set is the way to go at the moment. The Samsungs are pretty nice, a Zenith model is also pretty close to that price and is pretty good. The least expensive option I saw a couple of weeks ago is a Hitachi model that isn't flat screen -- $949 with $75 discount at Circuit City.

12. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

I saw an open box Samsung HCM 4215 42" HD RPTV at my local Worst Buy for $1123, if you bicker you can usually get another 10% off an open item. Then save your pennies for an ISF.