Best TV for around $900?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Feb 28, 2001
    i'll be in the market for a new TV in the next few months but want to start researching now. i'm looking to spend $800-$1000 on a new TV that's at least 27" (i've got no knowledge of TVs). can someone give me a suggestion please? HDTV would be awesome since i have a progressive DVD player, but i dont think i have enough $$ for this feature. [​IMG]
    any help is much appreciated! thanks.
    My HT
  2. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Aug 10, 1999
    It works like this: on the low end, you have your standard 4:3 TV with a curved screen. One small step up are the regular Sonys which are vertically flat (curved only horizontally). One step up is a standard 4:3 TV with a flat screen, which also (usually) gets you the ability squeeze the scan lines so you can watch anamorphic DVDs at full resolution. One step up from there is a 4:3 HDTV (which may or may not have a flat screen) (which will get you a progressive image). And one step up from there you can get a 16:9 HDTV. Mixed into all this are features that cut across all formats and sizes: picture-in-picture, inputs, etc. Beyond the basic TV itself, you'll have to consider what features are important to you as they increase the price.
    For $800-1000, you're looking at either a 36" normal 4:3 TV or a 32" flat screen 4:3 TV. I suspect that most of your viewing will be TV and DVD (not HDTV), so I'd get a 32" flat screen with the ability to squeeze the lines so you can get the most out of a DVD (well, nearly the most since it's still not progressive), but of course that will be 4" smaller than the 36". (You could spend a little more, like $1200-1300, and get a 36" flat screen.)
    Then get a 16:9 HDTV after prices drop over the next 4 or 5 years or so as we approach the point where all programming will be in HDTV (in theory...).
    Do some virtual shopping at,, or wherever.
    [Edited last by Oren on November 07, 2001 at 06:12 PM]
  3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Mar 13, 2001
    Samsung sells a HDTV-ready 27 inch model for around $900. This is the only one that comes to mind for me. Other than that, you can probably find a 32 inch flat tube model for around $900-1000 - Toshiba, Panasonic, etc. sell such models. 32 inch HDTV-ready sets get you up to the $1500 range at the moment.
    hope this helps,