Best TV for around $2k?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin_Breeze, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Looking to upgrade to an HDTV 42" or bigger and have no idea whats good or not. One of our large local A/V chains, PC Richard & Son has a special on a Proview 46" Plasma TV for $1995 here but I think its only EDTV and not sure if Proview makes good TV's or not. I want something with an awesome picture and that will last. Here's that Proview:
    http://www.pcrichard.com/CGI-BIN/LAN...E48B21+PCR+ENG

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    A lot of these EDTV plasmas, from Panasonic for example, are awesome and near your price range.

I don't know how fast you want to get it done, but: In a couple of months, on the DLP front, Samsung is putting out a new line of 1080p ready DLPs. The prices on the current DLPs have already been dropping quite respectably. Even now, you could probably shop around aggressively and get a 42 inch Samsung DLP (or other brand of your choice) for pretty close to the price you want. It certainly can happen once these newer models come out in July.

IF you don't have the "rainbow effect", I'd encourage you to demo a few DLP's as you continue your search. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

What are DLP's? Which one last the longest and is most reliable?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

4. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Also, EDTV is not as good as HDTV right? Or is it the other way around??

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

EDTV has a max resolution of 480, HD can go up to 1080I though most of them are 720P.
    Plasma is an option if you want a flat panel but 42" for $2k is not good imho compared to a 55-57" CRT you could get for $1700-1900. The only issue is they are big. Burn in is a minor issue. CRT produces the best PQ you will find and the biggest screen for your money. If you are against having a big TV, then you will have to compromise here.

6. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thanks for the awesome info! No having a thin TV isn't a big deal to me. I mean it would be cool to have a flat panel, but PQ is by far the number one priority with reliability a close second.

So this sounds great, i can get better PQ, a bigger screen and pay less for it! So these CRT's are the old style "
    Big screen" TV's right?

I am assuming they have improved a lot b/c my brother and best friend have the Mitsubishi big screens which are highly rated from years ago. I think they each got theirs like 5 years ago. Neither of theirs are HDTV and neither have very good PQ IMO, especially compared to my 32" JVC D series TV (very highly rated from a couple years back).

What I want is smaller TV PQ in a big screen. Will the new HDTV CRT big screens provide this? Like I said, those old one are not even close IMO to the PQ of my 32" or other qualtity smaller TV's.

Can you direct me to some top choices?

PS-Also, what about those projection screen?

7. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

8. Mike.N

Mike.N Extra

Depending upon light control (and highly over rated RBE) you might what to consider a DLP Front Projector -Go for a100" screen, no a 120" screen - you know you want it.

I just got a Toshiba MT700 - it's my second FP and it is terrific. My wife complemented about the 'film like quality' of the new projector without being prompted.

9. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Those are great for dedicated Home theater rooms but this is to be our main TV which we use for regualr TV shows 75% of the time. Dvd's about 25% of the time, so I can't see how a FP would be practical...

10. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think you are better off with a CRT 51" and up. I have a Sony and have nothing but praise for it. I use S-Video via satellite for all t.v. watching and simply love it. I use the HD capable component input with an upscaling player and never looked back. Those T.V.s are right in your price range and will produce one heck of a picture.

11. Mike.N

Mike.N Extra

Kevin_Breeze - We watch 90% of our regular TV on the MT700. You just need modest light control. We have lights on and can read and see the projector at the same time.

We just really hate a large black box dominating the room.

If you in my area (Northern NJ) I'd be glad for you to take a look.

12. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Mike, don't you have to change really expensive bulbs often with an FP..or something like that...

As far as RPTV, I am torn between Mitsu, Hitachi and Sony...

13. Mike.N

Mike.N Extra

The cost of the bulbs depends upon the projector. None are cheap. But if you look upon it as viewing enjoyment vs looking at a small screen (less than 80" diag) it's really not expensive. How much do you pay for cable each month? Enjoy to the max whatever your viewing. Also don't forget losing the big ugly box, whatever the size room, it will be better without a big black box. If your rooms so big the box makes no difference then you really need the projector to get a large enough image.

14. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Mike, curious about your room size and viewing distance with the FP.

15. Mike.N

Mike.N Extra

Barry,

We just moved so things aren't settled yet. Our HT is camping out in living room/dining room area. L shaped LR ~25'x15'. DR ~14'x12' (12' opening to LR). I put the screen in the dining room about 2' back from the LR opening. The set back minimizes light from the LR and hallway falling on the screen.
    We sit about 15' back. The screen's about 80" wide. I'm going to make it bigger, maybe 96" wide. I'll let you know how it works out if your interested.

Oh by the way the LR has a 15' window opposite the screen and the DR has a 10' wide window.

Hope to expand the house and put a full HT in a new room upstairs.

16. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Thanks Mike, would love to hear how it works out. The FP is my dream for our next place.

We're settling in to a new house as well; the theater room is smaller 23'x12', sitting 8' from the screen. Picking up and RPTV this fall in the general range Kevin mentioned ($2500 or so). Have my eye on one of the Mitsubishi models, 48"-55".