What's new

Best TV DVD News of 2017 (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Maybe rehashing an old thread, but I think the best 2017 TV news was the release of Coronet Blue and It's About Time. Those two were totally unexpected and a boost to those tv sixties fans who have given up hope on releases from that decade.

what do you think was the best of 2017? In your opinion.

James

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The announcement by Kino that "The Outer Limits" would be released on Blu-ray in 2018 (March 27).

Okay, that's technically not 'DVD' news, but to fulfill that description, I'll got with the release of "Police Story" season 2 on DVD. Good stories. Great appearances by our favorite TV actors from the 60s and 70s. Lousy picture quality, though.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well since this is TV on DVD and blu, the biggest news would have been the announcement of The Outer Limits TOS for 2018, but i would have to say the biggest surprise was Olive's release of all 3 seasons of Flipper in glorious 1080p goodness, and TheRifelman.net's last release of the series

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
These made me the happiest in 2017...some were announced earlier, but I got them in '17

Rockford Files on Blu from Mill Creek. (Big Time).

The Westerner and The Loner from Shout.

Coronet Blue from KL.

Decoy complete for the first time from Film Chest. (perhaps the best presentation of a PD series ever, and the bargain value of the year).

Petrocelli, The Magician, Longstreet and The Immortal from VEI.

Announced for 2018 release, and something to live for (ha)...

Mr. Novak season one from WAC.

Outer Limits S1 and S2 on Blu from KL.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just deleted a post that made a political reference. Let's not have any of that going forward. Thank you.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Petrocelli, The Magician, Longstreet and The Immortal from VEI.

Petrocelli especially, in view of that recent Sandra Grabman book about the same that makes the VEI/CBS DVD full release all the more worthwhile.

001.JPG

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'll go with Green Acres, It's About time, Just Shoot Me, Ned and Stacey, Becker (on pressed discs!), and Laugh-In as the best surprises of 2017.
Mr. and Mrs. Douglas were never among my all-time favorites as far as classic television, but considering it's a sister show to the show I desperately want, I'm hoping at this time next year that I can say I have it on DVD in full and unedited! I will buy it when I get a chance just so that CBS or whomever will see that there's still a market for the rural Henning sitcoms.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mr. and Mrs. Douglas were never among my all-time favorites as far as classic television,
Interesting, since GA is basically just BH in reverse.

I love GA, but can take or leave BH. Granny is a favorite, but I never cared much for any of the other BH characters. I do have the first four seasons on DVD, but haven't watched any of them.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Interesting, since GA is basically just BH in reverse.

I love GA, but can take or leave BH. Granny is a favorite, but I never cared much for any of the other BH characters. I do have the first four seasons on DVD, but haven't watched any of them.
That's what I always said-it was The Beverly Hillbillies flipped around. I just felt Green Acres suffered from what The Beverly Hillbillies did as it went to later seasons; it just got too far "out there." Of course there's always the possibility that I buy it and fall in love with it watching it through "older" eyes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Yes... you should at least purchase a copy of S1. I absolutely know I thought Green Acres was "stupid" when it originally aired (and I was likely the target demo then). I almost didn't purchase those first 3 available seasons several years back but caved when I got them for a bargain (~$20 IIRC). I found I enjoyed the series *far* more than I did as a kid. It's just so surreal. A town full of "crazies" with Oliver being the, seemingly, only "sane" one around. While I feel the last season suffers from too much tinkering with the formula, a too frequent occurrence for a series that runs more than 5 seasons, it's still quite good.

As I binge watched the entire series after making that recent purchase I found I like it even more. My oldest grandson (14) watched about a third of the episodes with me. He absolutely loved it, proclaiming it "Almost as good as I Love Lucy!", which is his absolute favorite "classic" TV series. Several times he almost couldn't catch his breath he was laughing so hard! I'd get tickled just watching and listening to him watch the show! I was going to sell those first 3 seasons I'd purchased years back but am going to give them to him instead.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Complete series releases of:

Coronet Blue
Decoy
The Immortal
Longstreet
The Magician
Petrocelli
The Rat Patrol (Shout re-release)

Completion of the season releases of:

Daniel Boone (re-releases from Shout)

Unstalled or further seasons releases of:

Police Woman (Season 3)
Star Wars: Rebels (Season 3)

Confirmation of releases coming in 2018:

Mr. Novak (Season 1 from Warner Archives)
The Outer Limits (Seasons 1 and 2 from Kino Lorber)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks