What's new

Best TV DVD Ever (1 Viewer)

Mike*S

Auditioning
Alright, which one takes the cake? But before everyone posts his or her favorite show, I want to clarify that by best TV DVD I mean "bang for your buck." Don't post your favorite show, but the one in which you think the company has done the best job with; whether its really nice packaging, cleaned-up video (especially on old shows), re-mastered audio tracks, interesting easter eggs, or some really nice extras and special features.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
For all those catagories, I'd say Twin Peaks Season 1 as the remastered elements looked great with a killer mix in dolby as well as dts 5.1, commentarys. easter eggs, etc.

StacyV

Second Unit
The best I own: Freaks and Geeks, and I'm not even talking about the yearbook edition. Commentaries, the booklet, audition tapes, etc. that's the one.

Edit-->After posting this, then re-reading the Freaks and Geeks thread, I succumbed and placed an order for the Yearbook edition. I won't eat for a week or two, but at least I'll finally have the Yearbook edition.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
As for classy and worth every penny, I'd have to go with Dick Van Dyke. Not only one of the greatest shows on TV, but an outstanding set with thorough extras and fun additions.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Tie between Dick Van Dyke Show (Image) and Battlestar Galactica (Universal). The former's extras speak for themselves, but Galactica really excels as well by virtue of all the deleted scenes supplements for almost every episode of the series. It's miraculous that that much excised footage exists to begin with, but for Universal to release it deserves extra kudos.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Thus far, MASH is the best DVD series out, at least that I have in my collection. Not only because the episodes are complete [no longer butchered to make time for commercials] and in order, but also because it has a feature in which you can TURN OFF THE FRIGGIN' LAUGH TRACK and actually hear the jokes.

It annoyed the daylights out of the actors, for certain, but the studio honchos insisted on adding the laughter so that people would know where it was appropriate to laugh.

I wonder what the studio honchos would have made of me, because there have been times during "heavy" dramas where I have laughed like a loon because something struck me funny for whatever reason.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Without a doubt the Dick Van Dyke show DVD set. This is the most professional looking DVD set, with loads of extras, I could ever have imagined. Let's hope more old shows are released with such devotion, care, and extras. Picture quality A+, packaging A+, extras A+.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Yep, have to agree with the Freaks and Geeks: Yearbook Edition. A superb A+ show, solid A/V, excellent packaging and a lot of great extras.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to echo the Van Dyke votes--but I had to stop a minute.

My vote goes to the "Beany and Cecil" special edition DVD. They could have just slapped the cartoons on there, but instead they made it a fascinating look at the career of Bob Clampett--complete with episodes of the live-action "Time for Beany" (and other puppet show Clampett aired), test footage, commentaries, tons of photos, etc. That disc was one of the first 3 or 4 DVDs I ever bought and it still stands as a testament to how much can be done with these shiny discs we all love.

Doc

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Yet another vote for The Dick Van Dyke Show. As others here have said, the packaging, presentation, and extras are just incredible!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Dick Van Dyke Show is the hands down slam dunk winner for me. I think what makes it so good, and better than a lot of others is that the quality goes across all 5 releases. Its great to get a quality of release like Freaks and Geeks, but that's just across 1 release while Van Dyke's quality of work done is shown in 5 seperate releases, and that's why it gets my vote.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Twin Peaks or SCTV. The only TV DVDs in my collection which kind of suck are the Sanford & Son discs, which have some truly dubiousAV quality.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gotta go with The Dick Van Dyke Show sets. Image set the bar high with these, and nothing else has touched them, IMHO - yet!

Gary "I hope Paramount gives us a great Andy Griffith Show set in October" O.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Both sets of The Dead Zone are really great, espcially season 2. Every episode has commentary and there is a five-part making of documentary, plus interviews with the cast and crew, all for $49.95 retail.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, part of this is what tv shows you like and buy. I'm curious if any of the people voting for sets other than Dick Van Dyke have that and think something else is better, or simply have no interest in the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks