1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Best TV DVD Commentaries

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Amy Mormino, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

DVD forums have threads on the best film DVD commentaries come up all the time, but I've never seen one that just focuses on the ones for TV DVDs. Theoretically, commentaries for TV DVDs should be better since you have less time to fill up with useless information and long pauses that plague film commentaries.

Here are two examples that I like:
    1. Joss Whedon on "Welcome to the Hellmouth"- Informative and entertaining.
    2. All the "Futurama" commentaries- I like the ones for "The Simpsons"too, but I think these are better since "Futurama" has so much visual content and sometimes obscure jokes that need explaining.

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

- Garry Marshall on the Dick Van Dyke Show episode "Baby Fat." The other Dick Van Dyke Show commentaries are, I have to say, a bit disappointing, mostly just repeating what's onscreen and laughing at the jokes, but Marshall talks a mile a minute and not only tells stories, but analyzes the style of the show and the nature of the comedy ("We do inner conflict -- other sitcoms didn't do inner conflict").

- John Schneider and Catherine Bach on the Dukes of Hazzard pilot -- just a fun commentary on a fun show.

3. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Two of the best audio commentaries on a DVD release of a TV series can be found in the "Rosetta" commentary on the Smallville: Season 2 set. The commentary with Alfred Gough and Miles Millar is really in-depth, while the cast commentary is a really fun listen. You can tell by listening to Tom Welling, Michael Rosenbaum, and Kristin Kreuk that they really enjoy working together and having fun (and of course, Michael is the wild man of the bunch!).

4. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Just about any Joss Whedon commentary on Buffy is excellent -- "Welcome to the Hellmouth/Harvest," "Hush," "Restless," "Once More With Feeling." But the best is for "The Body," on S5. That commentary alone is worth the price of the set. I don't think any of his Angel or Firefly commentaries are very special, though.

Another one I really liked was David Chase and Peter Bogdonavich on the Sopranos pilot.

Overall, I've pretty much dropped the practice of listening to commentaries. I've learned that too many of them are a complete waste of time.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

All of the commentaries on Clerks:Uncensored are worth a listen.

6. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

Any of the "Family Guy" episodes.... Seth McFarlane is hilarious and slips into the characters voices uite a bit ... (although his speaking voice is pretty much Brian already)

Bryan

7. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I love the commentaries Ben Browder and Claudia Black do on the first season Farscape eps "Throne for a Loss" and "Family Ties" (season finale). They have great chemistry and their commentaries are hilarious.

8. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Herb Jefferson on the "Battlestar Galactica" premiere episode. The camaraderie comes off well and the insights very good.

9. John*P

John*P Second Unit

My favorite commentaries are from the Malcolm in the Middle and Freaks and Geeks sets.

The Family Guy tracks are OK...

I wish Gilmore Girls had commentaries...

10. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

The Commentary for Buffy's Fifth Season ep "Fool for Love", it gives you a lot of insight about the history of Spike and his animosity towards Angel.

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned.

I think the Simpsons season 3 commentaries have been the best of the series, largely due to the presence of the voice actors.

The running commentary on Malcolm in the Middle is pretty great.

Love the Futurama commentaries, they seem to have had a lot of fun doing those and it shows.

I also think that the Friends commentaries are pretty good.

12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

The Simpsons is the obvious one. The ones on the Survivor sets (especially All Stars) are excellent too.

13. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Family Guy
    Simpsons
    Futurama
    Mr. Show with Bob and David
    South Park's Minis.
    Critic
    Kids in the Hall
    Strangers with Candy
    Upright Citizens Brigade
    Reno 911!

WORST:

King of the Hill - Character Commentaries

Ryan

14. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

For high hilarity, Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon and Seth Green on "Wild at Heart" in Seaosn 4 of Buffy (R1 only) and for a serious commentary, Joss Whedon on "Objects in Space" from Firefly.

15. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I thought "The Shield" season 1, and "The Dead Zone" had great tracks.

Gord

16. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Put me down for the Alan Spencer "Sledge Hammer!" commentaries for Season One. His commentaries on 4 of the best episodes are priceless, evoking as many laughs as the actual episodes. Not to mention the fact that one of his commentaries was recorded during an earthquake on the set! (Hopefully he wasn't recording Season 2 commentaries today, by the way...)
    This guy could read the phone book and make it funny...

17. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Freaks and Geeks has my favorite commentaries, Futurama is a great listen as well

18. Andreas_K

Andreas_K Stunt Coordinator

I like Shawn Ryan's commentaries on "The Shield" the best. They seem well planned as he invites guests along (i.e. network executives) and sort of interviews them asking interesing questions. Very informative approach.

Other than that - of course Whedon ist great.

The South Park Mini's are cool as well - although the running gag of "We have bored you long enough - gotta quit..." gets on my nerves sometime...

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Buffy - Any with Joss Whedon. The one or two with Drew Z. Greenberg in Season 6 were good too. The Doug Petrie one in Season 4 is also good.

Angel - Once again, Joss commentaries. The Tim Minear ones are good too.

Family Guy - The third season ones are the best. I find that a lot of the commentaries from the first box set have quite a few dead spots where no one is talking.

Smallville - I've only listened to the Rosetta commentary with Gough/Miller, and it was great. I plan on listening to the others soon.

I need to get around to listening to Angel S4, Freaks and Geeks, and Futurama...but I have a pretty long backlog to get through first.

20. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, commented on the reasoning of why there were so many deadspots. He said that FOX actually edited a lot from them because they were too explicit.

Ryan