Best TV (DLP vs LCD) for viewing situation

BrianTwig

Second Unit
My father's TV has been on the slow road to death recently and last night it finally crapped out. Now he needs a new one. Here is the deal.

TV will be in an Armour. Center of screen will be about 15 inches above seated eye level. Maybe a couple more inches.

The max width of the TV is about 41 inches, and that will be virtually butted up against the edge of the armour.

So, as you can see he is pretty limited in TV choices.

Price wise, he is looking at the Samsung 42" DLP (HL-S4266W). It is also at the extreme end of the size that will fit. It will fit, but barely.

Then he is also looking at an LCD flat panel. Such as the Samsung 4092D I believe. A bit more at about an extra $500. But still within his budget.

Now for my several questions.

With the TV being in an armour, which of these sets is least likely to be negatively effected by a build up of heat in the enclosure? If it would be a problem for both, I am sure a solution with an exhaust fan or other type of fan mounted in there to move and cool air could be done.

The other concern is that with DLP TVs, the verticle viewing angle is pretty bad from what I understand. Will this TV be enough above eye level that the picture will be negatively effected by looking "up" at the TV from that angle?

Also, seating is about 10 feet, but there will be others viewing from greater distances and possibly a few on the side a little bit closer.

Thanks!

Open to other suggestions as well.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Brian

The Samsung 4092D was the lowest rated model of 40> LCDs by Consumer Reports. Don't know if the Westinghouse will fit but you can get it through Amazon for $1549 plus shipping.

I don't know which runs cooler, maybe you could check out the power consumption, that should give you at least some idea. In general, plasma run really hot, but anything with a bulb is going to generate heat. That should not be the deciding factor, picture quality is the real deal.

If I had time I would look up the measurements, but I will leave that to you. If you can possibly do the Westinghouse LVM-42W2, that is the way to go.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Thanks Art. Your replies to my questions and others I read are always excellent and helpful.

I did see that the 4092 bombed with Consumer Reports. The JVC did well and I have added that to the mix of ones I am looking at for him. Will give Westinghouse one a look as well.

Thanks again.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
i almost went with the samsung or a sharp but after reading some reviews the westinghouse is the ONE! now i am just shopping for the cheapest price on it

JoeyM

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph
I bought an Oppo Digital 20" LCD/DVD combo. It looks awesome and is small enough for an armour. Check it out.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mexxbell