What's new

Best TV Card for PVR use? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I want to get rid of my VCR and start recording shows onto my HTPC, and even better use it as a PVR and record Conan every weeknight. I went to AVS and they seem to focus more on the HDTV cards which are well out of my price range.

Any recommendations for cheaper NTSC cards and does they come with some software to function as a PVR? Thanks for any help.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Scott:
I think you can get a basic tuner card for about $50, and a full featured one for $75-$100.
ATI has also repackaged their AIW 7500 into a less expensive box - $125, I think, for a PCI tuner card + a GeForce 2 level graphics chip. There are other more expensive, faster, and more feature packed ginsu cards from ATI, including one (the 9700) that boasts the fastest GPU currently available (though the FX will likely smoke it whenever it materializes onto the market) for about $50 more than the non-ginsu card. Given that the VE All-In-Wonder doesn't have a bundled RF remote (something I've gotten quite attatched to on my AIW), I'd opt for another AIW card (WITH remote) unless you have a corresponding GeForce card that's faster.
You can also try a GeForce Ginsu card (called Personal Cinema), though I've heard those things are about a generation and a half away from being serious competition to ATI. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the help Brian. I've been doing some more research and the Asus Tv Tuner Card seems like the best option for me. Uses a Conextant chip, ouptuts stereo sound, remote control, good reviews. Only gripe is the $80 price tag when compared to its competitors which are about $25-$30 less, but w/o stereo sound. :frowning:
One more thing I'm worried about is when I output it back onto TV. I have an S-video output on my GF4 card but it never fills the top and bottom of the screen. If this happens with the TV card I'm afriad I'm going to have to stick with VCR. What TV-out options is everyone else using?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks