What's new

Best TV below HDTV? (or one for $2000 or less) (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm looking for a short-term TV set one step below HDTV, or basically ANY TV below $1800 in price.
It has to be non-projection, can accept S-Video and Composite (ideally), and be able to handle Anamorphic Downconversion correctly.
I was thinking originally thinking of:
* KV-32FV26 Sony WEGA 32" regular $1599
* KV-32FS12 Sony WEGA 32" regular $1199 (same tube, but it's much cheaper - I don't know why - I compared and it seems to be the same tube and it has V-Compression 16:9) - it sounds pretty good.
OR
* KV-36FS12 Sony WEGA 36" regular $1699 (again, the lowest 36" but it seems to have everything I need... except progressive).
BUT, of course, reading the other thread going on right now, it seems these Sony TV's are really bad now.
frown.gif

So..., what else?
I got a recommendation for:
* Panasonic CT-32HX41 32" Tau Series monitor - which can display Progressive Scan DVDs and has good 3:2 pulldown from what I heard?
I also heard that Toshibas make a good TV in this range.
What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is there a better set?
Again, my budget is $1800 Max.
Thanks!
Ken
------------------
Peace,
Ken Lee
"Let Manga E. know we want better quality DVD's!"
Link Removed

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ken,
Since you're in West Covina, get in touch with Yawa (see my signature). Ask to talk to David or Bill (and tell 'em I sent ya
wink.gif
) and they'll take care of you. They are authorized Panasonic dealers. Their website (for local in-store, non-internet sales) is Link Removed - but not all the things they carry are listed there (not even close). Call or email them.
Good luck!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Ken,
I have been struggling with the same issues looking for a 32" HD DV set. Seems both the Sony Wega and Panasonic hx41 series have their share of geometry and color problems, and the Samsungs are too wide for my available space.
There are new Toshiba HD DV sets due in September (32hfx71) and the price should be in the ballpark of what you mentioned, best I can tell.
Who knows if it'll be any better than the others in this category.
Here's hoping...
------------------
--RR

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
$2000 Sampo SME-34WHD5 (1080i)
$2000 RCA MM36110 + HTPC or DVDO (1080i)
$1800 Hitachi 36UX01S + HTPC or DVDO (1080i)
$1400 RCA MM36110 (1080i)
$1200 Hitachi 36UX01S (1080i)
$1100 Sampo SME-27HD5 (1080i)
$900 Samsung Tantus TSK-2792F (480p)
$600 Sony Wega KP-27FS12 (480i)
$380 (Refurbished) Gateway 27" Destination monitor (1080i)
The Gateway Destination monitor was available from Link Removed to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic have color / geometry problems??? HUH??
Abdul, thanks for the helpful list! The follow-up:
* Are they *GOOD*, though?
wink.gif

The key is that I need a reliable, accurate TV at that price.
Thanks again,
Ken

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
"$2000 Sampo SME-34WHD5 (1080i)": This thing rocks!
As for the Wega line... UNEVEN BRIGHTNESS! Do a search in this forum for Siony + Uneven brightness and you will a lot of reading to contend with.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kenneth, many users have had problems with the geometry on the Panasonic flat tubes - problems with the CT-32HX40 have been documented in this forum if I recall correctly. By geometry problems, what is meant is that vertical and horizontal lines are not straight for the entire screen or the screen image tilts one way. Other problems include a compressing of the image in the corners or a bowing of the image in the middle. There are a variety of these type of errors that come the heading of geometry problems.
good luck with your search,
--tom

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas,
Thanks for the breakdown. If I may follow-up:
* Are ALL Panasonic Tau's guaranteed to be screwed up with geometery problems??
I had 2 friends recommend the Panasonic Tau's - they are AV geeks and have a very good eye. They were happy with their sets.
So, could this just be an overall "quality control issue"? In other words, just keep returning the sets until we have one that doesn't have those geometry problems?
Thanks,
Ken
------------------
Peace,
Ken Lee
"Let Manga E. know we want better quality DVD's!"
http://www.123petitions.com/[email protected]$2

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Ken, my opinion on geometry problems is that all the new flat tubes seem to suffer them to varying degrees. I base my opinion on the few I've seen and what I've read on-line. Now, this doesn't mean that the sets aren't good. Even most consumer grade computer monitors I've seen suffer from geometry distortions to varying degrees. This doesn't mean the sets aren't great sets and it doesn't mean that all sets have problems or if they have problems, that they have them to the same degree. I tend to think it's a crapshoot based on what I've read here and at other forums, etc. Whether its quality control, a limitation of the technology used, the magnetic pull of the earth or a combination of all the above, I really don't know. If your friends have the Panasonic Tau sets, perhaps you can go over and take a look at them, use the Avia disc (if they haven't) to calibrate it and look at some of the test patterns to judge for yourself.
I just reread your original post and since I just did a quick rundown of 32 inch 4:3 flat tube (non-hdtv and hdtv) sets for my own research, I can say you might also want to look at the Samsung TSL3293HF/95HF. It seems to meet your requirements.
good luck,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks