What's new

Best Turntable for under $1000.00 (1 Viewer)

Mark All

Second Unit
Good to see some analog fans out there! Before starting to research new turntables, I wasn't completely aware how many good turntable choices and how many potential tweaks are available in the market now. I bought 19 LPs last weekend--including three that were never opened.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Regarding interconnects, a problem with a number of turntables out there is that the interconnects are hard wired. That can make changing them out a bit difficult. :)

Aaron_R_B

Grip
I would definitely recommend a Music Hall 5 or 7, possibly swapping out the Goldring cartridge for something like an AT 440ML or something similar. If you don't like the MMFs, check into some of the less expensive Rega Planar or VPI models.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance, don't go over to Audio Asylum talking about the Technics table. They'll roast you real quick. ;)

In all seriousness, I would be curious to learn how the Technics table compares to similarly priced offerings from Music Hall and Rega.

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Thorens may still be commercially available in the US, but when I was looking for a new turntable a couple of years ago, a dealer of my acquaintance who carried the brand at the time warned me against buying a new Thorens. Although they were very well regarded when vinyl was king 20 years ago and earlier, and was the brand I first set out to find last time around, he related that the customer service and dealer support by Thorens for North America had been practically non-existent the previous few years. Virtually all the ones he sold came back for repair and getting the parts was problematic (took months sometimes).

Even though he did not carry Rega, and therefore lost a sale by doing so, he steered me toward the Rega Planar 3, which I ended up buying and continue to be very pleased with, especially after the P3 motor upgrade. (One of the Music Hall turntables would, of course, be a very good alternative.) I don't have a problem with the stock interconnect hardwired to the Rega -- I have not felt inclined to perform "surgery" on the unit to replace it.
With a Grado Reference Platinum cartridge mounted on the Rega's tone arm and the Lehmann Black Cube (Improved) as my phono stage, I am in sonic nirvana when playing my vinyl collection.

Good luck -

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Actually, there are lots of fans of the Technics "DJ" tables over at AA. They certainly have their good points, but the main issue people have with them seems to be that they don't handle the better cartridges well (or at all)....i.e. designed for a different environment. And the usual bias against direct drive on "cheap" tables by audiophiles.

The current Rega P3 (not referring to the older Planar 3 which you can only buy used) is a relatively good deal. It has the decent RB300 arm, and is pretty easy to set up and use. IMO it is grossly over-priced for its parts and build quality (certainly shocks somebody who still has a Thorens from the 70's), as is MH, but that's the way it is in the TT market if you want something that isn't plastic crap. Don't skimp on the cartridge, IMO better a good MM than a cheap MC... If considering a Rega, you might consider that they seem to be noticeably cheaper in Canada. I got a new P3 and Clearaudio Beta for around $700 (plus shipping).

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I will second/third the cartridge recomendation IMHO it is way more important than the platter..and just to throw another table in the mix the pro-ject 2.1 is a great value table

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Further note:

The SHure V15xMVR is available at J&R Music world for $229.99. An excellent deal. You just have to use their quote-a-price feature. The website will self explain that.

I just purchased one to upgrade my JVC QL-Y66F turntable. Currently I have an AudioTechnica that I've never really cared for (bought it awhile ago to just have a cartridge, but should have looked and shopped around). Can't wait to do some SACD/TT comparison!

Rick

NP: Ryan Adams - Gold

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks