Best tuner in Home Theater Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff_mg, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Jeff_mg

Jeff_mg Auditioning

Hi Everyone-

I need a home theater receiver for my bedroom that is under $500. I use the tuner most often so FM reception is most important. My main speakers are Advent Legacy. I am replacing the Yamaha RX-V793 that just conked out on me.
    Any models from Denon, onkyo or Yamaha look good or any other brands worth looking at?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Jeff_mg

Jeff_mg Auditioning

Hi Everyone-

I need a home theater receiver for my bedroom that is under $500. I use the tuner most often so FM reception is most important. My main speakers are Advent Legacy. I am replacing the Yamaha RX-V793 that just conked out on me.
    Any models from Denon, onkyo or Yamaha look good or any other brands worth looking at?

Thanks

Jeff

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Jeff, among mass market producers, Onkyo is known for having above average tuners in their receivers. I think Yamaha is also, but I'm not 100% sure about them however.

I also know that NAD usually has excellant tuner as well.

If you really like radio though, go XM sattelite and you will never listen to FM again. Well worth $8 a month!

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Jeff, among mass market producers, Onkyo is known for having above average tuners in their receivers. I think Yamaha is also, but I'm not 100% sure about them however.

I also know that NAD usually has excellant tuner as well.

If you really like radio though, go XM sattelite and you will never listen to FM again. Well worth $8 a month!

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Tuners in most receivers are mediocre at best. The trick is to get a good antennae. Don't bother with the amplified antennaes from Terk (or any from Radio Shack), they are useless unless you already have a decent signal. Get one like this or if you have a roof or attic, a mounted FM antenna.

Hope this helps,
    James

6. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Tuners in most receivers are mediocre at best. The trick is to get a good antennae. Don't bother with the amplified antennaes from Terk (or any from Radio Shack), they are useless unless you already have a decent signal. Get one like this or if you have a roof or attic, a mounted FM antenna.

Hope this helps,
    James

7. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a used Denon tuner off ebay for $20. Best FM reception I've ever had.

Edit:
    FWIW, my denon was about 8 years old, fully digital to.

8. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a used Denon tuner off ebay for $20. Best FM reception I've ever had.

Edit:
    FWIW, my denon was about 8 years old, fully digital to.

9. Lopez

Lopez Auditioning

I'll second what Aaron says- go to eBay and pick up an old separate analog tuner from the '70's. It will seriously outclass anything in a modern receiver, and be dirt cheap.

10. Lopez

Lopez Auditioning

I'll second what Aaron says- go to eBay and pick up an old separate analog tuner from the '70's. It will seriously outclass anything in a modern receiver, and be dirt cheap.

11. GaryRoboff

GaryRoboff Auditioning

If you live in a reasonable RF environment (no signifiant hills, tall buildings, etc), are not bothered by strong local stations within a few miles from your reception site, and don't require access to distant stations you might find that a number of today's units will meet your needs. For example, Sherwood Newcastle receivers and pre/pros (but not the standard Sherwood line) have four section FM front ends, and I have found that with an outside antenna they are quite acceptable performers. Just for my own curioisty I have tried two Newcastle products one-off on the same split antenna against some outstanding tuners, and I have been surprised by how well they compare. The least expensive Newcastle receiver with the four section front end is the R-756, which lists for $599. I'll bet you can find it for less than your budget maximum on the street.

If you have special needs the advice above to find a good used tuner makes sense to me, and XM is absolutely worth a listen.

12. GaryRoboff

GaryRoboff Auditioning

If you live in a reasonable RF environment (no signifiant hills, tall buildings, etc), are not bothered by strong local stations within a few miles from your reception site, and don't require access to distant stations you might find that a number of today's units will meet your needs. For example, Sherwood Newcastle receivers and pre/pros (but not the standard Sherwood line) have four section FM front ends, and I have found that with an outside antenna they are quite acceptable performers. Just for my own curioisty I have tried two Newcastle products one-off on the same split antenna against some outstanding tuners, and I have been surprised by how well they compare. The least expensive Newcastle receiver with the four section front end is the R-756, which lists for $599. I'll bet you can find it for less than your budget maximum on the street.

If you have special needs the advice above to find a good used tuner makes sense to me, and XM is absolutely worth a listen.