What's new

Best Towers in $1300 range (1 Viewer)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
At $1300 you are making a serious sacrifice going with towers instead if bookshelf speakers soundwise. Start thinking of towers once you are looking at the $2800+ range.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
At $1300 you are making a serious sacrifice going with towers instead if bookshelf speakers soundwise. Start thinking of towers once you are looking at the $2800+ range.
Lets be honest, not everyone is playing at that level of the game. There are plenty of musically satisfying tower systems for

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I'll be very honest. At $1300, or below $2800 there are much better bookshelf speakers out there than you can find in a tower speaker for like dollars. Even at $2800 and beyond, one is going to need a sub for HT applications, so why not get the best sounding speaker for your money?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
It is even more true at the $1300 mark. If you're spending at or below $1300, you are far and away better off going with a bookshelf.

You put forth a tower speaker up to $10,000, and there is a bookshelf that can beat it for the same dollars.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I take your point, Mark. I used to have Platinum solos so I know what you are saying. It is all a preference. But to say that there is not any competant towers out there for under $2800 is wrong. The Mirages are a fine example. Another thing to note is that a good minimonitor needs to sit on a $300 to $400 or higher stand. Another cost. I advise to stay away from the smaller bookshelfs unless you are specifically looking for their strong-suits. And personal advice is what this forum is all about.

-rob

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
around the $1300 range that is. I'm looking for good strong bass and can play loud without distortion. I guess I never really knew bookshelves could do that. I'm fairly new to all of this.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
around the $1300 range that is. I'm looking for good strong bass and can play loud without distortion. I guess I never really knew bookshelves could do that. I'm fairly new to all of this.
Were just missing each other with these Chris! If the above is what you are looking for than go for the towers. Bookshelfs are more about finesse.

-rob

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a fairly young guy and feel even more young. I still like listening to my music LOUD but I want it to sound good or lets say "rock". I've heard the klipsch rf7's which do "rock" but I also want the sound quality and build quality. What bookshelf out there could compare to those speakers for at most $1400 dollars(which is how much the rf7's can be had for at local dealer). I don't want to go with klipsch just for sake i'm not real fond of there surrounds and such. But the towers did impress me.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
But to say that there is not any competant towers out there for under $2800 is wrong.
Ahhh...but I never stated that. I stated that for like dollars one could find a better sounding speaker. Competent? Heck we could find plenty of $600 towers that are "competent".

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Well I will put my vote in for ProAc used models.
Personally the best deal going right now is some used Proac Response 2 speakers for sale on Audiogon for $1400 but probably can get him lower because the ad has been up for 19 days. Original MSRP = $3300 so about a 60% savings.
ProAc's would be a great speaker for you, they can rock, play loud, and lots of refinement.
Link Removed
If I were still in the market for speakers these would no longer be for sale.

DonJ

Second Unit
Paradigm Monitor 9's. They have Great BASS with all the sound clarity, imaging, and depth. I love mine did I say they hit HARD. They're are also priced very well also $800.00 USD. ;)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Stacy suggested the VMPS RM1 which are great speakers, and list for $1580 which streets them for $1265 (right on your budget)
http://www.ozonik.com/vmps/e/p-rm.htm
Even more to your demands is the VMPS Tower II. This is one of the best speaker values out there. It lists for $1298 and with dual 12" woofs and a 12" passive radiator, it will plumb 22hz with major authority.
http://www.ozonik.com/vmps/e/p-tII.htm
It streets for $1040. As I have said before its like getting two SUBS for free.
In a room your size, with your listening distance you will not only find book shelves a little light (decibal wise) but you will need a major sub or two. (Earthquake, Velodyne, SVS, VMPS, HSU, M&K, or other)
You need two floorstanders, and three "big" monitors for center, and surrounds duties. Even with this, you will end up wanting a sub.(or two)
Check it out
John Casler

John Royster

Screenwriter
The polk lsi15 would be a nice fit.

But the klipsch RF series fill stomp just about anything in the "loud with lots of bass" category.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
sound is a matter of preference.
I prefer the tower sound, even though it may have less finesse for the dollar, it has more presence and most often more punch.
besides, towers look better than wimpy bookshelves... :)
I second the Energy C-9 for the simple reason I've heard them and they sound very good for the price. For a review, go there: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c9.htm
-Seb

BrianDD

Agent
If you really like it loud and clear then stop reading this and go get the Klipsch RF-7s. If they aren't in your price range check out the RF-5s. Klipsch speakers are great for rock music. You may also want to check ubid.com for some KLF-30s.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
a pair of paradigm studio 40's and an svs sub, say a 25-31pci. cant beat that. (750+500=1250)
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks