What's new

best tower speakers for Panasonic SAHE200 for $600 or less (1 Viewer)

BrianHo

Agent
I have a pair of Kenwood speakers up front now. I don't think they sound very good for music, but ok for HT. What do you guys recomend for a set of front tower spaekers. My reciever is 130x6 at 6ohms. I can't find any specs on these Kenwood speakers except they are 140watts. I really would like to know how much of an improvement i can make with new speakers.

Thanks
Brian

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
when matching speakers the main thing you should look at is impedence matching.

regarding the 130wx6ohms is just a way for manufacturers to posts big numbers by "cheating", using 6ohm specs.

the first thing you should do is try to figure how much power the receiver actually outputs all channels continous..

then get some speakers to match the receievers impedence comatibility, and power output accordingly. if you get some big floor standing speakers and match them with a wattage that doesnt meet the speakers minimum requirement, you can "clip" and forever damage the speaker. if you get a 4 ohm speaker and connect it to a 8 ohm receiver you can overheat and fry the receiver.

so just do a little math and audtion speakers, and pick what sounds the best to you.

imo, i dont think you can find decent floorstanding speakers for under 600, but you can get some great bookshelf speakers for that price.

it also depends on what your tastes are, do you use it mostly for movies? or music? the panny 200 is not very good for music to begin with( so i think you can buy the most expensive speakers in the world and i seriously think the panny will still give you average music playback).

so i would assume you purchased the receiver for its movie features? then may i suggest some northridge jbl speakers? both speakers and receiver are on about the same consumer/price level. you can look into some lower end klipsch speakers at BB for better musical performance?, i think they sell some klipsch floorstanding speakers within 600 dollars

give us some of your tastes and intended use, that will better help us figure out what speaker youd most likely prefer.

BrianHo

Agent
Well it is mostly used for HT, but i like to watch music videos quite often also. When watching music videos it just doesn't sound too good. The 2 8" woofers in each box don't move very much. How can i find the true wattage and stuff on this reciever? I listen to mostly hard rock and a little rap.

Thanks
Brian

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian

The Panny 200 has a very strong amp section and others hear have posted about it. I think the 200 was tested somewhere but it escapes me at the moment.

The Panny 100 tested out in S&V with 70 or 78 watts a channel with all channels driven 20-20 into 8-ohms at or below rated distortion.
The 200 (has a much better stronger amp section) and I would expect "no less power" more than likely even more power per channel.

I will agree with the one point Myo made that Receiver manufactuers have a number of interesting tricks for putting power down on paper.

The 200 is what most would consider a some what forward and bright receiver with it's high frequency side. And unless you like screeming treble I would not match it up with Klipsch speakers!
Just my opinon....

Stay with an 8-ohm to 6-ohm speaker and you should never have heating problems or receiver shut down. If you get into 4 ohm speakers, the receiver is going to run much warmer (has to work harder) and if pushed hard it may very well go into thermal protection mode.

Maybe owners of the 200 will chime in with what they are running for speaker ohm loads along with speaker brand/models, and give their personal take....

I disagree that you can't find decent HT/Music tower speaker for 600.00 or less a pair. State of the art, high end audiophile, ~{NO}~, but certainly decent sounding.

I don't know what type of sound you prefer in a speaker, but I would look for a more laid back in the highest frequencys, tower or bookshelf to mate with the Panny.
Off the top of my head below the 600.00 mark, would be Whafedale Diamonds and Emerald lines.
Just by chance they are 6-ohm load also, well the Emerald towers are for sure. We have them in a bedroom system.

These 2 Wharf lines have won many Britt and mag awards and also have the typical more laid back, but accurate Britt sound. These speakers if you look can be found very reasonable. An excellent value, tho they may not be for you.

There are many speakers to choose from out their, and you need to listen to as much stuff as you can to get an idea of what you prefer in sound, and preferably listened threw a Panny 200.

And if you like you bass, it's a must to have a seperate sub. Even tho you have towers now, or may buy new ones, a sub for the lowest frequencys is a must if you want it strong deep and loud. People do just fine with out them, but (if you like that bass) their is nothing in the lower dollar entry level of speakers, tower or not, thats going to give it to you deep and loud.

Regards
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian

What is the model # of the Kenwood towers you now have???

Do you have a matching Kenwood center speaker from the same speaker line also?

The woofers in the Kenwoods not moving much really means nothing, depends on the speakers design and the material being played, along with the volume.
Assuming the speakers (are configured properly) in the receiver.
If you set your Mains to Small inadvertatly, you more than likely are not going to see much movement with the bass drivers even with louder volumes.

If your useing a DVD-player to play your CD's, that needs to be configured correctly also for both music and movies.

Refer to your owners manuals for both the Receiver and DVD/CD player to be sure everything is set up properly. Read ~{carefully}~ as a very small thing can make a huge difference if set up "incorrectly"....

Double check your speaker connections for correct polarity both at the receiver and speakers, + to + - to -...

Again if you can find the model # of your Kenwoods, others may be able to find some information for you on them. Many/most times, it's located right above the speakers hook up terminals posts on the back. If their very old, the sticker or plate some times used, may be missing just from pure age. They can fall off, or if a sticker only part of it maybe their.

You may want to read the primer section in the Basics Area if you have not already and are relativley new to the HT game. Allot of good information is their to help people with uderstanding set up and configuration of your componets.

As far as true wattage, I belive the Panny 200 is more than capable of driving your Kenwoods in Stereo or HT. Unless the Kenwoods sensitivity is Ultra Low, like 83-db & a 4-ohm load, (which I very Highly Doubt)!

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks