What's new

Best to be ignorant? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I am fairly new to the HT scene, but have been learning a lot here on this site. I recently upgraded my receiver, but am now wishing I had learned more first. I like it a lot, but after reading and learning (about Prologic 2) etc, I am not totally satisfied anymore. I am a budget minded person, and until I started learning more about this stuff, I was pretty happy with my setup. Now it seems I'll always want something better... Just a thought.

Thanks for all the info everybody.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum Paul! Home Theater is a nasty hobby in that whatever you buy you always ask yourself if you could have done better for the money. At least thats what I always do...

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Pro-logic 2 in my opinion is nothing special anyway. I do agree with you about always wanting something better. It really is a disease, maybe you and I should attend AA :)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, take a number Paul, the doctor will be right with you. Welcome to the asylum.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hey PaulDF,
I'm also quite newbie to HT but can tell my experience: I first bought a Creative DTT3500 system which works both for PC and for DVD, as a friend of mine recommended that to me. After one week or so I notice this was a toy, and start scratching my wallet to get myself a Marantz SR4200. I bought it and... notice sound was not what I was expecting. SO I went back to the shop and exchange it for an SR5200. Tried it out at home for a couple of weeks and... guess what? I didn't really like the sound again. So I took it back to the shop and exchange it for an SR6200, hich is what I have right now, and am pretty happy with it (won't change it no more). SO what's the story behind that? Well, I started spending 200$ and ended up paying 650$ for the 6200. BUT IN THE END I GOT WHAT I WANTED TO GET... and am not in the mood of wishing I had another thing. If you made up your choice, then that's probably good for you. It doesn't have DPLII? Well, who cares? DPLII is not big deal for my taste... Circle surround is much better :D
But remember that receivers are basically made to let yo play 5.1 or 6.1 DVD tracks, and all of them do that...
So just relax an enjoy what you have, at least for a while. later on you can think about selling it and buying a new one.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I understand completely. That's why I just bought some JBL speakers because I know I like JBL from my past experiences. If I go out and listen to others I know I will find some others that I like better, then everytime I listen to my JBL's I'll probably feel like they are not good anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks