1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best time to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew S, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I'm a highschool student from Canada who has an interest in home theater. Being a high school student, I do not have access to a credit card, and even if I did, I couldn't order online (which from what I understand is where most of the good deals are) because of the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar. My question is, are there any tips and tricks many of you have learned over the years about buying equipment locally (I say locally because I'm pretty much limited to places like Sears and local dealers)? I'm guessing it's cheaper to buy equipment whenever the newer models are released, but is there anything anyone can add?
    Any response would be great...
    ------------------
    -
    Wish I had more money

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well, I would say buy at the end of the month. If it is a company that works on commision, most of those people try to make more sales (no matter what the value) the closer it gets to pay day. Just like buying a car, they are willing to deal.
    ------------------
    Have you seen my audio rack?

3. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Andrew,
    Being a budding enthusiest about HT like you are, I would reach out to your fellow countrymen, who, I know, will help you in your quest to get the "good deals" for HT gear.
    You Canadians always seem to have the scoop where to source the best deals. I would start a new post entitled ---- "-------- (name your area) needs help sourcing HT equipment deals-- minimal budget".
    I wish you good luck.
    PS-- Last year I sold a 4-pack of Audioquest Sorbothane "thingamagibbies" through Audiogon (used audio equipment site) to a Vancouver resident. Hell, he responded first and was extremely eager to get these dodads I was selling for $25 US. So, we finalize the deal and he sends a Postal check (Canadian Postal Check) to me. Looks good to me. Off go the AQ "thingies" to Vancouver, me paying the postage to get there.
    Three days later my bank says there is a $10. US fee to "handle" this Canadian Postal check. I laugh, and shake the head. What can I say ? Gotta love free trade.
    Good Luck with your search,
    BOK

4. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest doing a lot of research to know what you're getting, and then always hear/see a demo first.
    And you're right about new equipment. All of my speakers were purchased when the company released new models. Excess inventory meant I saved thousands.
    Also check out the boards here and AVS. There are Canadians that post new and used equipment for sale.
    And don't be afraid of old stuff (2-3 years). Some older equipment that was rated highly in the past may still serve your needs now and you'll be able to get a great deal on it.