What's new

Best time to buy a big screen? (1 Viewer)

Frank_D

Agent
I am finishing my basement and will be putting some kind of big screen tv down there. Not sure what yet but I was wondering when the best time to buy is.

I know they have big sales in January because of the Superbowl but I would think they would have even bigger sales afterwards when things slow down.

What do you guys think?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
These days, Big Box stores will have "sales" just about every week/weekend on some product or another. Superbowl, Boxing Day, etc sales are usually not bad.

However, the best time to buy is when a manufacturer introduces a new model. Older models tend to go on clearance to make room for the new models. Only difficulty here is that your picking may be slim...

Whatever you do, someone will inevitably get a better deal than you and the price will drop another $100 by the time you get the unit home :angry:

Cheers,

JB

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Frank, what size screen are you thinking?
Will this be your main set? If not, have you considered a front projector? I built a HT room in basement, and we have an X1 projector we use for DVD's and occasional HDTV. It is fantastic, 106" diagonal screen, and less expensive than a RPTV. You can learn all about projectors at Projectorcentral.com.

Frank_D

Agent
Jim, that is a whole different dilema that I am struggling with! :)
My plan a year and a half ago when I built my house was a 51 to 57 inch Sony or Hitachi. Now that I am close to buying it, it seems like there are so many options in my price range.

I have to admit that I really want something with a 'WOW' effect to show it off a little. :D The projector has that but I have made my basement an open plan with a pool table, fooseball table, bar, etc. for entertaining and I don't think the front projection would best for that since it isn't a dedicated area.

I mentioned the 'wow' factor as part of my decision and it seems like the rear projections don't have that anymore and seem to be going away. My budget was set under $2000 but I am pretty flexible and will spend more to get the perfect setup. I was actually thinking of a regular 36 inch tv with a pull down projection but my wife thinks it is a little crazy.

My main use would be day to day television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks