Best time of the day/night to water your yard?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_T, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

What time of the day or night do you guys & gals usually water your yard? Since we've moved into our new house about 2 yrs ago, the sprinkler system was always set to go off at 4AM during our watering days. Since we're getting into the dog days of summer with water conservation always a factor here in Denver, I want to get the most out of our watering days. Is it better to water your yard in the early morning hours or later in the evening hours. I recently switched them to start at 9PM. The thinking being that the water would soak in better overnight, rather than possibly burning off quicker as the mornings heat up. Any thoughts?

2. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I prefer watering in the morning...somewhere between 6-8am if possible. If I miss the morning then I water around 7-8pm in the evening, depending on what time the sun sets. Be careful watering so late. You can get mushrooms if your lawn remains damp for an extended period.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Like Drew, I advise caution, unless it's light and warm until much later. I'm trying to get a lawn started and I've got a black mildew / fungus in my front yard. I'm told it's likely from over-watering and/or watering at night. I had been aggressively watering through the day and as late as 10pm.

I suggest staying with early morning or mid evening.

4. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Your 4am time was the perfect time to water. It will soak in with plenty of time before the major heat arrives.

I assume you just water for like 30 minutes every other day or so? That would be plenty of water for the lawn, as the recommend amount is 1" a week.

5. Philip_T

Thanks 3D's! Sounds like I'll be switching it back to the 4AM start time.

And since we're talking about yard improvement, what setting do you guys set your lawn mower hight at? I usually set mine to the highest setting to keep the grass fairly long. The thought being that the shorter grass will fry under the hot sun.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

with h20 prices what they are in denver, NEVAR!

7. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Philip (T, not G),

I water at night to make sure, like you said, everything soaks in as thoroughly as possible. My sprinklers start at 11:00 PM, and I've never had any trouble with mushrooms or fungus in the grass -- I have one low spot in the bark under a shade tree that once in a long while grows a mushroom, but that's it. Perhaps it is more of an issue in different climates from ours here in Denver? I set my mower to the third highest setting in May, the second highest setting in June, up to the highest setting in July-Aug, and back down again in September when the days start to cool down an little.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have my system set to start at 3am, and the zones are run through by 5am. That allows for time to soak in before the heat of the day, and the watering is done before I get up to take my shower before work.

9. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

I live in Castle Rock, CO. I have always watered in the middle of the night. Not sure if it helps all that much. still have big brown spots. I consider water more important than a "pretty" lawn anyway.

Never had a problem with mold or fungus.

I would never water in the morning, most of the water just evaps as soon as the sun comes up this time of year.

10. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Several years back I switched to all-night watering only ONCE every 2 weeks during a couple of year drought. It was amazing. I had the greenest lawn on my street. My next door neighbor (thank goodness) has gone recently from her spray, fertilize, bomb everything to a "green" approach, and is trying to go more organic. But back then during the drought in an attempt to save her lawn, she watered each day (for short periods) fertilized aggressivly, and treated non-stop for fungus and brownspot.
    She was hilarous during this time, she would see me setting up the sprinkler after dark and 'Fuss' at me each and every time. "your going to get fungus...see my yard...its terrible...you are NOT supposed to be watering after dark!". Then each weekend, she would stare at my lawn as all were out mowing and say, "What are you doing? What treatments are you using? You have the greenest lawn and not a single weed!"

I'd tell her each time, I use no fertilizer, a mulching lawnmover, leave the blade height high for the summer and water ONCE (all night) every two weeks, when the temps reach high 80 to 100+ range. Then two days later AGAIN she would see me setting up the sprinkler and say "your not supposed to do that. You'll get fungus!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Works VERY well for me, here in Texas.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Huh. I live in castle rock too.

12. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Heh, not at 2:30pm on a 25 degree celsius day that's for sure.

I just drove by and saw my neighbour watering. I'm tempted to call the city and report him.

13. Philip_T

Mary, never heard of that technique. If I was to try and water my yard all night, it would start just running off after it reached saturation due to the slope of my front yard. But hey, you cant argue with your results.

I hate it when I see people wasting water, or watering when they aren't suppose to. Ever notice how much water is wasted in commercials?

14. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Does seem a long time. I would start about 8 or 9pm and go to about 8am. My yard is flat and I had no runoff. Then again my water pressure in prior years was extremely reduced. We’ve had the line replaced and this year I have yet to go to the all night version, which I am sure I will need when we hit 100+ days with no rain in weeks. I’ve had some periodic and convenient storms this year. Twice this season, have had to do approx. 5 hours, which seemed to do the trick for the following 2 wks.

I tried it after reading about a man who ran a huge commercial perennial farm who supplied wholesale to the nursery trade, I believe he watered 24 hours for every 3-4? Weeks. (or three days every 2 months?) outrageous sounding length of times; whichever time frame they were. It was a huge affair; acres of plants, the article being also a pictorial showed the quality and health of his product, which spoke for itself.

Interesting enough it sounds like a lot of water, but my summer water bill decreased dramatically when I went to this bi-montly method. Additionally it helps immensely dealing with watering, once restrictions are in place, which we do have in our city as conditions warrant.

If I moved to a hill, since being extremely sold on my current method. I think I would attempt to try to spread the watering over 48 hours (two evenings) figuring out how to turn sprinklers on and off with hour or so breaks in between sessions to get the equivalent extremely deep levels of soil water saturation. I’d have to sort out how long each session before runoff and for 'rest' sessions, -and buy a whole lot of timers! [​IMG]

Might be pertinent to note, my lawn in front is St Augustine; in the rear Bermuda predominates, in case some Homeowners who have other grass varieties do have trouble with nocturnal waterings.
    The only amendment I have used in years (and need to do again...but its a hard product to come up with), is Granulated Sulfer distributed like fertilizer across the lawn, this seemed to greatly help the quality of my soil, which is heavy clay.

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

My method is similar to Mary's but not as long. I try to soak the lawn really good once a week. A landscaper once told me that the worst thing you can do is give a lawn frequent but short waterings. If the water never gets down deep, the roots just start to gravitate upwards and the grass is more likely to die or develop weeds.

As for time of day, I agree that early morning is ideal, but watering at night is fine. After all, rain is just as likely to come at night as it is during the day!