What's new

Best System for First Person Shooter Games? (1 Viewer)

Gary King

Second Unit
and, if that's the case, where are all the Xbox games that at least approach Doom 3, graphically?
Based on what I've seen so far, Halo 2 has far more next-generation features than Doom 3: more advanced shaders, blur/bloom and depth of field filters, plus the requisite bump mapping and stencil shadow volumes.

However, I've got first-hand experience with Doom III, and I've only seen the Halo 2 trailer.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Is there really any need for a debate like this when the advantages/disadvantages are so obvious?

I love FPS games, console and PC. Clearly the PC has the advantage in the control and technological areas. Just look at UT2K3 vs UC. UC is not even close to UT2K3 in graphics or fluidity of control. It's also a hell of a lot of fun playing PC FPS games online. I played UT in clans for several years online. Sure, you can take consoles online, but the PC still offers superior graphics and controls and no cost for FPS games online. Plus you get hordes of maps and mods available for download. Far more than you will ever see on consoles.

But guess what? Sometimes I have friends who are actually AT MY HOUSE. Kind of knocks the PC out of the picture unless I want to pay for several mid to high end PCs, set up a LAN, and buy several copies of the same game. So for this reason I have games like Halo and UC for some co-op or split screen multi-player action. Hell of a lot of fun. In fact, right now as I type this, I'm down in North Richland Hills, TX, on business. I traveled down here with a co-worker and brought my XBOX with me. The past two nights we have been playing Halo and UC in my hotel room...and will again tonight. I would never dream of trying haul a couple of PCs on a business trip. Again, another advantage for the consoles.

Anyway, I think all of this is rather self evident, but debate away.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Aaron is right, if she plays alone then upgrade the PC. If she likes to LAN or have friends over, Xbox with Halo is the way to go. Plus, the single player game is just such a treat for any FPS fan.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Another thought. . .if she wants to get a console, but will mainly be playing by herself (and not online), she should still consider a PS2. I'm not sure that any of the XBox titles (with the possible exception of Halo, which I've only played multiplayer, and of course MOH) have the kind of involved single-player campaigns as games like Red Faction or Half-Life (or the first two MOH games).

Also, the PS2 controller works very well for FPS games once you get the hang of it. (I use the left stick for movement in all directions, and the right stick for turning and looking up/ down.) Better than the XBox controller for sure.

PS: Anyone playing the PS1 MOH games on a PS2, be sure to turn on the graphics smoothing before starting the game--it makes a BIG difference on those titles!

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I go back and forth on which I like more, my PC or my Xbox. PC has far better control and better graphics, but it is nice to sit in my living room with my home theater sound system on the Xbox.
One point against the PC is that any FPS shooter for the Xbox will run the same on EVERY Xbox, meaning you'll never buy a game only to find out that it runs slow on "your" Xbox, which does happen (and which I always find depressing - damn, time to upgrade AGAIN?) with a PC.

I bought and returned a PS2 because it was so inferior, graphics wise, to my PC. I remember renting the FPS Red Faction for the PS2 and the graphics were so weak compared to the PC demo I just couldn't get into it. Enemies at a distance looked like they were made out of three pixels. I had almost given up on the next gen console thing until I checked out an Xbox. I've never looked back. While it does not equal what my PC can do, it comes close enough.

I'm not trying to upset PS2 owners. I know it has a lot of great games that make me jealous, like GTA3, and if the price drops enough I may end up picking one up again. But if I had to choose between one, for me personally it's Xbox.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Also, the PS2 controller works very well for FPS games once you get the hang of it. (I use the left stick for movement in all directions, and the right stick for turning and looking up/ down.) Better than the XBox controller for sure.
Interesting, because I would say the opposite. I like the positioning of the Xbox's analog sticks much better than the PS2's, and the long-throw analog triggers are much more satisfying to fire than hitting a face button. I'm using the Japanese (similar to the S-type) controller, though--for the original Xbox controllers, I think I may agree with you.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Hmm... lets see... best system for FPS games....

HOW ABOUT A PC?!

You know... the only system that lets you aim with a MOUSE instead of a dinky analog stick?? :D

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I feel like stirring the pot myself ;).

I've played FPS games on a number of consoles. I've played a number on the PC. I OWN a number on the PC. I don't have any for my consoles :p).

It comes down to a matter of control. And in a nutshell, regardless of how many individual drips of blood come spurting out of some guys thumb when you shoot it off his hand, on a PC you'd be able to have that kind of precision. On a console you'd be lucky if you blew off half his arm from the elbow up.

A mouse and keyboard for controlling an FPS, without auto-aiming of course, will dance circles around any type of joystick or analog device. Period.

If I'm playing Counter-Strike I can easily leap off a building and whirl around at the same time to lay down suppression fire. And then some little cheating punk snipes me with an AWP. The point is, he can't snipe me that easily with a joystick :D.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Depends though. I never was able to get used to a mouse/keyboard combination for my PC. I remember I bought controllers to play Quake 2 online and tried routing the buttons so I could strafe decently and whatnot. I usually got smoked though because the mouse/keyboard is so good. Now that they have the perfect FPS joystick in the original Xbox controller IMO it's much more enjoyable and I can be plenty accurate, and since I'm playing against only those who also have the same gear, I'm not going to be in over my head.

The PS2 controller I find not very good for FPS. The lack of staggered analogue sticks and palm support are my main problems.

YMMV.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I guess nobody picked up on my point that you can actually use a mouse & keyboard on consoles. (such as the Dreamcast & PS2)

Now, back to the PC vs. console discussion.

-Dan
who played Quake III online with the Dreamcast using a mouse & keyboard before the Xbox was even released

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good point, Dan! Do you know if most FPS for PS2 have built-in support for a USB mouse/ keyboard?

I know it has a lot of great games that make me jealous, like GTA3
Don't be so jealous -- GTA3 is available for PC!

Aiming with a mouse may be more accurate than a joystick, but I'm not sure that it's more FUN. :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Aiming with a mouse may be more accurate than a joystick, but I'm not sure that it's more FUN.
Good point Aaron! I was thinking about some of the responses in this thread, and it reminded me of when I was a heavier PC gamer in the past.

There is a population of gamer...mostly FPS freaks (and I used to be one of them) who have this sickness where it's all about speed & accuracy. "must have 100 frames per second...must have mouse refresh rate at optimum setting etc" :D I know because I've been there too. If you don't have that attitude you will get your fragging ass kicked online!

Look, everyone knows that the mouse is the most accurate aiming device available. I don't agree with anyone who tells me that a keyboard is a brilliant gaming control device, but to each his own. If you're a FPS freak, then maybe you live and die by the mouse. Personally, I got tired of the competitive nature of online PC FPS games & now enjoy my console games, including FPS, with a game controller. But with consoles going online, maybe things will go full-circle for me in the future.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Update on the situation: while it's true that she does have a smoking computer setup, she is unhappy with the mouse-and-keyboard configuration & is definitely interested in a console, so the original question is still important. Keep em coming, guys! You're a great resource.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Why, exactly, is she unhappy with k/m controls? The speed and accuracy, the power of control, is so lightyears beyond other options available now I can't imagine any reasonable reasons for not preferring it. The only way FPS controls could get better right now (without new hardware inventions) would be if FPS games started putting "mouse macros" (like Black & White) in.

I have a hard time believing two equal level FPS players will see the k/m player beaten consistently by the console controller. That says enough IMO.

Edit: Also, if she *really* wants to try console controls, one can get a decent number of gamepads that attach to a pc and can be used for gaming. Cheaper than buying a PS2 or XBox (recommend former not later). Smoking PC > console. Always.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Get well soon, David. :D (before you take offense to that joke make sure you've read my previous post - next to last paragraph)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Mostly she's unhappy with them because she works on computers 10-12 hours per day and the last thing she wants to do for fun is use the mouse and keyboard again.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The speed and accuracy, the power of control, is so lightyears beyond other options available now I can't imagine any reasonable reasons for not preferring it.
As I said before. . .playing with a game controller is more FUN! (Especially if you've been working on a mouse and keyboard all day and need a break!)

YMMV, of course. I'm not a big online player -- I prefer either single-player campaigns or playing with friends together on one console.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks