Best System for First Person Shooter Games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Zimmer, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

A friend of mine really gets into first person shooter games on her PC (works the tension off from work y'know), and is contemplating getting a videogame system. But she doesn't know what system has the best and most FPS games (if there are any) and works best with them. I have no idea either, but I figured the folks in this forum would know. So, can you help her out?

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'd say XBox by far. Most of the "big" FPS are multiplatform but the XBox version is usually the best. The XBox is the most powerful so in theory the games will look the best on it. Also the harddrive and strong online play make it the choice for FPS fans. All of these combined with Halo, Halo 2, and Doom 3(it will be the only console powerful enough to run anything that could be considered a port of doom 3) seal the deal. xBox is the system for FPS fans.

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

If she's so into FPSs, I'd suggest that she get a new PC with good sound card.

4. Jeremy Santos

The Xbox hands down. Xbox has Halo, which IMO, is the finest first person game ever. Then you have Unreal Championship, and Ghost Recon, when teamed up with LIVE, are ultimate experiences. Sure, the PS2 has more games, but it doesn't have that system selling first person game like the Xbox has. Add the fact that Halo2 is coming out this year, this is a no brainer.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'd agree with Josh. If your friend already enjoys playing them on a PC then don't bother with any of the consoles. They'll just be disappointed. Consoles games and PC games are different beasts.

6. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    As the others have said; Xbox.

Rumor also has it that "possibly" Half-Life 2 may be an Xbox/PC exclusive.

That would give a line up of Doom III, Half-Life II, Halo, Halo II, Thief III, Deus Ex II.

That's one hell of a line up if you like FPS'. Should be a great year!

7. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I would say stick with the PC but if you and/or she are set on a console, then I would recommend the XBox. Halo and Ghost Recon are both excellent and, as others have mentioned, more FPS' are on the way.

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yeah I'd just upgrade my PC. But of course cost would be an issue since it could cost you 5 times more to upgrade/buy your PC then to buy an Xbox and some games.

9. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

For FPS, stick with the PC--consoles can't hang in this genre and, more than likely, she'll be disappointed.

(waits patiently for the 'Halo is the be-all, end-all' contingent)

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Well, IMHO - the PC isn't the be-all & end all when it comes to gaming. As for 1st-person shooters, I'd also say that the best system out there now for them & in the foreseeable future is the Xbox.

[rant]Why is it that someone has to come out & bash,kick,or take a poke at something when someone asks a simple question? You know,maybe just answering the question would be good.[/rant]

Calvin (who'd much rather upgrade his HT than his computer)

11. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

If you must have a console for financial reasons, go with the X-Box. (I should point out, however, that Half-Life 2 was rumored to be a PC/X-Box 2 exclusive; I would be surprised if the game actually came out within the X-Box 1's lifespan.) But the PC is and probably always will be better for games of this type. I can, however, totally sympathize with your plight, being stuck on a PII 400 with no possibility of an upgrade in the foreseeable future [​IMG]

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Xbox no doubt. Halo 2 is reason enough.

Doom 3 as well! Carmack says it'll retain all its visual fidelity on the Xbox. Personally I'd rather play a game like Doom3, which promises to scare your pants off, in the dark in my home theater with Trent Reznor's 5.1 surround sound mix coming at me from all directions than just sitting in front of my PC with a 19" monitor [​IMG]

I used to be a hardcore PC gamer (UT and Quake 1-3). I was in clans, the whole thing...I was even "anti-console" you could say. I thought the idea of playing a FPS on a console was ridiculous. Then when I started to get more of a life, school and girlfriend taking up more time, etc. etc. I got myself an Xbox and am enjoying "casual" gaming on it a hell of a lot more. Halo is escapism for me...I still can't believe how much I play the single player.

14. Eric C. Mylonas

Doom III will resemble its PC counterpart, but let's be realistic: he also stated that the ATI Radeon 9700 was the minimum spec card to run the game on PC--this card is orders of magnitude more powerful than the GPU in the Xbox (a stripped down version of Nvidia's GeForce 3 which is two generations of GPU out of date as of right now).

Further the average PC CPU is orders of magnitude more juiced than the Pentium chip in the Xbox, and most PCs have at least 256 MB of main RAM, never mind the 128 MB of VRAM on the Radeon (and the next gen Nvidia card).

Now, while I'm sure it'll be faithful (as most ports of id software to console are), there is no way this game is going to match up, pixel-for-pixel (or every other pixel for pixel), with the PC incarnation--even if you ran the PC title in low-res (i.e. native Xbox res).

I only point this out because, if you want the best experience, the PC is the only way to go on this game (and many, many others) and telling someone that the Xbox is going to capture the visual overload that Doom III will provide is a bit spurious--even if it's coming from Mr. Carmack's mouth (who, I'd imagine, will not be coding the Xbox rev).

However, should it by some miracle match up to the PC rev in more than a passing fashion, you can kick me in the ass [​IMG]

15. James T

James T Screenwriter

Xbox. The last console I had was a SNES. I went to PC gaming for about 10 years and only Christmas got an Xbox. Ghost Recon took some time getting used to as pointing a mouse at a target seemed easier than moving a joystick around. But once you get used to it, it's an amazing experience.

I have a P4 1.7 256ram, audigy 5.1, but a 32 Meg GeForce 2 card.

The games that are coming out now won't run on that computer well. I'll probably need a new vid card and more ram to get Xbox like performance.

16. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

17. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

18. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

19. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

20. Eric C. Mylonas

Somebody gets it.

And anyway, like I said (more than once), I'd love to be proven wrong. But you can only push the Xbox so hard and I'm afraid something on the order of Doom 3 is well beyond its limits...outside of a competent port.

Bottomline: You want to play Doom 3 the way it's meant to be played, get a smoking PC to play it on [​IMG]