1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best system features for low volume listening

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I have a baby in the house so I'd like to know what features a system should have to be able to achieve great clarity at low volume levels. I know some processors have a night mode but I don't like the idea of modifying the material I'm listening to. Specifically, are there kinds of speakers that perform well at low volume settings? Is this dependent on the amp?

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

You shouldn't really have to adjust anything while in night mode. Activate it and then turn it off when you are done. From what I understand it just knocks off about 10db from the normal volume level. You could just play the system like you normally do and let the baby adjust to it. May work out much better that way.

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The night mode actually utilizes Dolby Digital's compression feature in which the dynamic range (the difference between loudest/softest sounds) is reduced.
    [Edited last by Brian Perry on August 21, 2001 at 10:14 AM]

4. Eric S

Eric S Agent

For low volume listening to movies & music, I prefer to turn up the level of the subwoofer a little. While things don't come crashing down while the baby is sleeping, you get a better sense of bass at low volumes with it turned up just a little. When I want to run at higher volumes, I turn the sub back down to its normal, otherwise, its too much and doesn't sound right.