Best System ? $5,000

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BorisB, Mar 29, 2003.

1. BorisB

BorisB Auditioning

Hello guys,

I don't know that much about home theaters but I saved up a lot to buy one. I have put away about $5,000 to buy a speaker system. Specifically, I want two towers, and 5.1. I don't really want it to play music, but to play movies. Also:

1) I want the dialouge to be clear.
    2) And I want the room to vibrate in Terminater 2.

Can you guys please help me out on what speakers to get? Thanks.

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Get in touch with either Kyle Richardson of Acoustic Visions or Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design and tell them what you're looking for. Either one can build you a system to your liking, primarily in sound but also in finish (to help with the WAF if that applies).

Probably the 281's or AV3's will do great. I've not heard the Adire LCC but it looks like it would be a killer center channel for both clarity and "oomph." As far as shaking your room, both gentleman can makes subs that will put ANY sub you have heard to shame. Most companies make compromises in their products in order to meet the needs of a "majority." Both Brian and Kyle will make a product to meet YOUR needs.

If I weren't a DIY'er that is what I would do. Hands down.

Regards,

Dan Hine

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

What is the rest of your system? And how large is your room (dimensions)?

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Sorry to butt in, but what is WAF?

5. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

W ife A pproval F actor.

Can be a killer.....

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    [​IMG] This HT terminology is hard to keep up with.[​IMG]

7. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

Don't keep up with that one George.

Real men don't have problems with WAF...

J/K

8. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Hi Boris,

Following on the heels of Scott's question, what are the other factors here?

- room size?
    - any considerations in terms of placement?
    - you've budgeted for a sub, correct? (important for the room "vibrating")
    - what sources/processor/amplification are you using?
    - what display are you using?

Info such as this can help us offer up some options for a balanced system (vs. $5K in speakers coupled with a 21" TV and a 20 watt per chn Technics receiver, etc.).

Are you sure you need/want to spend $5K on the speaker portion? Many folks would do well with about $2K in Rockets from www.av123.com,

9. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

At $5000 you could consider fully DIY/custom built systems (such as Kit281 based; there are a bunch of options we could provide if you decide to do that sort of thing). I would recommend a custom/DIY sub, or SVS, regardless of your speaker choice. Beyond that... you've picked the price range where many many companies place some of there best value products and there's so many (PSB, Klipsch, Rocket are the first to come to my mind). Can you go to a stereo shop and try some out? Or give some more details on what kind of sound you want... do you want it to go really loud? Have a soft and pleasant sound, as opposed to crisper and more impactful?

10. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Yeah, lots of good speakers in the 5k and below range. I am thinking NHT Evolution series would be nice BUT you won't drive those with a average receiver. It is more of a seperates type setup.

http://www.nhthifi.com/opinions_home.asp

11. Todd_RIC

Todd_RIC Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm Studio 100s ($1,900/pair) for the mains. Paradigm Studio 20s ($650/pair) for the surrounds. Paradigm Studio CC($500) for the center. Paradigm Servo-15($1,500) for the sub. Total: $4,550

Result: One extremely impressive system for music or HT. I auditioned the Servo-15 using T2, and this sub WILL shake you, your seat, and everything else in the room. Additionally, I challenge you to find a better sounding set of speakers than the Studio 100s. I don't work for Paradigm NOR do I sell their products (or any products for that matter). I'm just a consumer. Sound is subjective, so maybe you won't agree, but I've been auditioning speakers for months now with about the same speaker budget as you... give Paradigm a listen... you won't regret it.

12. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Check out the Onix Rockets here.

13. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

14. matt_yots

matt_yots Extra

If you are in the NYC area or find a dealer, try the Accurate Sound Wave (ASW) Genius line (Cosmophonic on the UES for Genius, Innovative Audio Midtown East for the B&W and Linn stuff). Genius 200's run 1500 per pair (3750 for front, center, and surrounds) with a used REL Storm III. One of the best monitors I've ever heard for soundstaging and accuracy... they beat the B&W 805s I heard (I also auditioned MA Gold 20's-large floorstanders, Audio Physic monitors, B&W 603.3, and some Linn Espeks). The Espeks had the best sound for people who prefer musicality, but are slightly more expensive (3.5k per pair), while the Genius are super cheap and wonderfully dynamic. The Monitor Audio's were the most disappointing for Reference series speakers.

My final advice... listen to everything you can. Speakers and CD players are probably the most subjective pieces of equipment you can purchase.

15. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

17. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I would check out the Polk LSi series. They are very highly regarded (rival speakers that cost thousands), and are an excellent value. You could probably pick up a pair of LSi15's, LSiC center, and LSiFX rears for about $2,500. Then you could buy a SVS CS/PC-Plus or 2 or perhaps an Ultra, and still have about $1,000 in your pocket.

18. FrederickR

FrederickR Extra

19. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

If HT is the main purpose I recommend the Def Tech's. Built-in powered subs are a great thing for movies, especailly when the center channel has one. I have Energy Connoisseurs but wish I got the Def Techs cause I think they are better for movies.

20. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Try Rockets, Atlantic techs 6200, NHT evolution M5, Def. Tech series..