What's new

Best SVS to give as a gift? (1 Viewer)

VinhT

Second Unit
A friend is purchasing a condo soon and I would like to get him an SVS as a little house-warming gift. He has never had a home theater system and I would like to get him off to a good start. The two models I am currently considering are the PB10-ISD($430) and PB12-ISD($600).

I like the price of the PB10-ISD. I think it has a built-in limiter, which I would consider a positive. That way, my friend would never experience port noise or bottoming-out noise, things that might cause non-enthusiasts to question the quality of the product. I assume the PB10 has less output capability than the PB12, which is not necessarily a bad thing for someone living in a condo.

I am considering the PB12-ISD because while the PB10 is probably an outstanding taste of SVS, I don't want him to have to upgrade anytime soon. I think the PB12 with its greater output capability may be a bit more future-proof. Plus, my friend seems to be more impressed with loudness than with quality or accuracy. I am hoping that he will be able to appreciate deep bass.

What I really want to get him is a model with the parametric EQ, like the PB12-Plus. A single room mode can severely mask the capabilities of a good sub, so the integrated EQ would be extremely useful. I would rather he not have to get a BFD. Unfortunately, I don't think I can stretch my budget that far.

I know a cylinder sub would be more cost effective in this situation, but I have had some issues with my own 25-31PC+ that make me reluctant to give one as a gift. As weird as it sounds, I have experienced port and grill noise, and don't wish for my friend to experience the same thing. My friend is a bit brand-name oriented (Bose, Sony), and since SVS is not a mainstream brand, I would prefer a relatively bulletproof model that will never cause my friend to doubt the SVS brand.

In summary, the goal is accurate bass for an impressionable home theater novice living in a condo. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
VinhT, can we be friend? :D I do appreciate deep/accurate bass :D Wonder where did all my friends go when I needed a sub :) Put my name on ur friend list ok bro? :)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
On a serious note, perhaps get the PB10-ISD and BFD as you can tame the peaks and valleys. Making the PB10-ISD better than it already is.

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
I have an SVS PB-10 and I have only heard it make port noise in two movies. First is "Frodo's Heart-Beat" scene in Lord of the Rings - ROTK. Second is at the end of Monster's Inc, when Mike does his comedy routine for the kid. I love my PB-10 but it is not entirely port-noise free.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Dont worry... I get port noise at high volume levels, too. And I have the 25-31PC+! Port noise is inevitable until you start hitting the PB2+ and above range, IMO.

VinhT

Second Unit
Al,
:D My motives are not entirely altruistic. Just in case I watch a movie at his place, I want to make sure there will be some proper equipment. I've actually thought about going the selfish route by giving him my 25-31PC+ and BFD so I can upgrade, but that wouldn't be right. :b

Mike and Joey,
Wow, I thought I was the only one that experienced port noise with an SVS. I have never seen any other reports of such on HTF, and no reviews I have read, formal or informal, have ever mentioned it. So now I'm not so sure about my choices...

Alan,
I have considered the gift certificate thing, but don't think I will go this route. First, it kind of spoils the surprise. Second, he might just choose whichever one matches the gift certificate, so I would pretty much still be "choosing" one for him. Third, if he finds out how much the gift costs, he may flat out decline it.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I don't think you could really go wrong with either one. It may come down to if you want to spend the extra $$ for the "extra" bass. Your friend will be greatly surprised and excited once he hears the beautiful sound from it.

You are a good friend, pick one and let him have the ride of his life.

You know you are sending your friend down the path of upgrades, enhancements, bigger speakers, better cables, etc... he may hate you later once he's hooked :)

Joey_V

Second Unit
Vinh,

Dont worry about port noise, anything with a port "should" theoretically have a point at which port turbulence occurs. For me, the 25-31PC+ experiences port noise at the 16hz tune at levels around 100db and at the 20hz tune at levels well above 100db (~105-107db or so). At 25hz, I have yet to experience significant port noise.... with all three ports open, it doesnt seem very possible up until the last few dbs of output (113-115db or so).

Even the B4+ would exhibit port noise if pushed hard enough. You think the b4 could do 123db+ at 16hz tune without some sort of port noise? Probably not.

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
With my PB-10, I get port noise at 20hz at 95dB and higher. I'm not trying to knock it. I wouldn't trade it for any other $400 subwoofer.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
If I was your friend, I wouldnt complain either way. He shouldnt care if you used it or not, its just a start for him anyway, pretty soon, he'll get the upgrade bug. we all do. Your giving the gift of a sickness you know. :D We all suffer from it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I've actually thought about going the selfish route by giving him my 25-31PC+ and BFD so I can upgrade, but that wouldn't be right.
__________________________________________________ ____

Sure it would, it's a gift! Thats one heck of a sub as a gift I might add. He would get the better sub if you went that rout also.

Like Joey mentioned >>>last few dbs of output (113-115db or so).

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
VinhT,

Don't you remember me from high school, we were best friends! I just moved into a new place and need some help with putting together a new HT. Can you help me out old buddy?:D

Seriously though, what you're doing is way cool in my book. I just wanted to say that if you'd like something with a parametric EQ and around the price range you're looking at, check out the UFW-10 from AV123.com.

I've got a PB-2+ at home myself and recently put together a new office system for work with a ELT system from AV123 with the sub that is a step down from the UFW-10. Sure it's not the biggest sub with the lowest output but it sounds absolutely fantastic with plenty of slam for its size. Should be plenty for a condo too.

FWIW, both subs are excellent performers and you really can't go wrong either way. Just wanted to let you know there is something with a parametric EQ in your price range. You're going to have a very happy friend.

Alex

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
VinhT:

I would recommend the PB-10. I have heard it in action and it is one phenomoninal sub for the money. (Actually they all are but....).

Parker

VinhT

Second Unit

:D Can't wait to hear it. I think I might be more excited about this sub than when I bought my own 25-31PC+! A small 10" high-performance sub just seems so unusual...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks