What's new

Best surround settings (1 Viewer)

Steelhorse

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I would like to get some opinions on the best surround setting for watching T.V. and listening to music.
Currently I have it set on: DD + PLIIxMV + THX
I think it is: DD + PLIIxMS + THX for music
When I watch a Blue Ray it changes it to PCM, I don't think I can change it. Is that what it should be on? I don't think I had PCM on my old Elite receiver.
Thanks for any advice,
Will
I have:
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-41FD Blue Ray
DishNetwork 722 DVR
Samsung ES7500 60" TV
Infinity front speakers
Martin Logan 7.1 surround

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can listen to stereo programs in whichever surround mode you like the best (I like DTS Neo:6) or in just plain old stereo if you wish. Same for music. I usually listen to music in stereo but sometimes I try DTS Neo:6 music just for fun.
If you get PCM from your bluray player then you either have it connected with analog cables (stereo or 7.1) or you have the bluray player set to output PCM. Your br player may decode the high resolution audio found on br discs and send it to your receiver already decoded. If so, the receiver will display PCM on the display. Your receiver will tell you if you're getting a stereo signal or a multi-channel signal with the little speaker layout in the upper left-hand corner of the display.

Steelhorse

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I am using a digital connection for the Blueray. My Blueray must be set to PCM, I will have to check to be sure.
I do get the little speakers on the display although I think just the center, side surround, and sub. If I have 7.1 should I get all 7.1 speakers displayed?
So the PCM is what it is supposed to be on right?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You want the BD player to decode the audio=set it PCM
You want the AVR to decode the audio=set it bitstream.
Makes zero difference which. What difference it makes is if you want all the "cool lights" on the AVR to be lit.
Typically the "speaker icons being lit" is determined by what sound mode you are using...meaning, even if your AVR is decoding DTS-HD, you could still use stereo mode and only two icons would show up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
According to the manual, the speaker display in the upper left-hand corner indicates the signals input from the source via PCM. It doesn't indicate which speakers are outputting a signal. I played around with mine for a bit and I'm still a bit confused about what it's actually trying to indicate. Often times the little "icons" aren't even lit up. There are very few 7.1 discs on the market. When the Surround Back speaker channels are activated in the setup menu then Dolby ProLogic IIx becomes available. That mode, and DTS Neo:6, will creat the 6th and 7th channels from the 4th and 5th ones. But if the disc is 5.1 then only the 5.1 "icons" should light up.
The only time having the player do the decoding might be a bit better is if you have a very expensive player which might have better onboard decoders then your receiver like the OPPO SE's/95/105.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks