What's new

Best Supplementary Features DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Folks,
Many movies released on DVD have a second supplementary features DVD disc with a lot a background information on the production of the movie, deleted scenes, trailers, and so on.
In my personal opinion, the quality of the second disc is quite variable in quality, to say the least. A big problem with the Supplementary Features disc is that navigation can be a confusing and ultimately frustrating experience.
I cite for example Disc 2 from the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone DVD set. Not only is navigation quite confusing, but you have to play a bunch of games just to get to certain parts of the disc, which can be a frustrating experience. :angry: :thumbsdown:
A better example of a supplementary features disc is Disc 2 from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. There are plenty of very nice background features on the disc, but the navigation system is a bit confusing.
In my personal opinion, the best supplementary features disc I've ever seen is Disc 2 from the Collector's Edition set of Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Extremely well-conceived, you can navigate the disc in three different methods, all in a very intuitive manner. It's even set up so you can watch most of the features on Disc 2 as a multi-part documentary on how Atlantis: The Lost Empire was made in a single sitting. :emoji_thumbsup: :cool:
So, what you your favorites for a supplementary features DVD disc?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The best supplementary DVD, IMO, is:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (easy to navigate, excellent and interesting stuff, entertaining!)

Also, the Universal Monster collection box set is great. Dracula is the best, IMO. 4 versions of the film (Original, Phillip Glass score, score-only version, spanish version), a making-of doc, a commentary, trailer, notes, and even an intro for the spanish version.

Although nothing has been set yet, if WB uses all the Library of Congress archival material for Around the World in Eighty Days for its DVD, it could actually easily make FOTR and Snow White look like bare-bones discs.

Eighty Days has 70mm outtakes and bloopers, 42 hours of behind-the-scenes footage, an alternate prologue, 2 deleted Eddie Fisher musical numbers, 2 versions of the film, a score which could be isolated, and even trailers!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
My favorites:

Thirteen Days - Awesome documentary on the actual Cuban Missle Crisis.

15 Minutes - Great featurette with some real "tabloid TV" stars.

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs - Great retrospective on the Walt Disney Company(although a few points are noticably missing) and a great documentary on the making of the film.

White Christmas - Although light on extras, Rosemary Clooney provides both a commentary for the film and video interview.

Fight Club - This two-disc set examines as much of the making and reactions to Fight Club as possible. Even the liner notes provide good information.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Brazil: Criterion Collection - a three disc set with the director's cut of the film (with audio commentary), the great The Battle Of Brazil: A Video History documentary (along with many other great extras), and the "Love Conquers All" cut with film historian commentary.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I have the two-disc Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs set and frankly, the Disc 2 from that set is not as easy to use as the one from the Atlantis: The Lost Empire Collector's Edition set.
Snow White was Disney's first attempt at a very comprehensive supplementary features DVD with multiple navigation options; what they learned from customer feedback of that disc was implemented on the Atlantis: The Lost Empire supplementary features disc, a masterpiece of disc navigation design. :emoji_thumbsup: :cool:
Speaking of which, I think Shrek had excellent supplementary features, but accessing them is a bit awkward since they spread it over the 1.33:1 aspect ratio movie disc and the 1.85:1 aspect ratio movie disc.

Sarah Temple

Agent
i personally think that traffic criterion editon has the best supplimental features. it has great editing demonstrations and very interesting "commentary" by the editor while you watch each demonstration.
also, fight club has great supplimental features.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Notorious CC (I think the extras are better than even the 2-disc "Rebecca" set)
Snow White
Gimme Shelter CC
The Wizard of Oz (but terrible menus/difficult to navigate)
Do the Right Thing CC
I Know Where I'm Going! CC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks