best subwoofer interconnect?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gareth, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

any suggestions? i tried rhino cables, but i'm wondering if there is anything better out there?

thanks,
    Gareth

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

there's not much asked of a sub cable in terms of carrying frequencies, maybe up to 120 hZ. rhino didn't work for you?

3. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

The Belden 89259 with Cardas RCA's, IMO

Hey, you asked, right ? (8>)

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I'd have to say a cable such as the one Rhino sells is about as good as it gets, especially for the price. Belden 89259 with Vampire,Cardas,Bullets etc.

5. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I love my rhino sub cable. It makes my bass sound much more lively with a hint of minty freshness. The sound takes on a much more definite rainbow bright coloring with an enhanced aura.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

'Better' is a very subjective term.

Subwoofer frequencies are very low and a very, very narrow bandwidth. It is a trivial challenge for nearly any coax cable to handle.

My personal suspicion is that some people trade up to a 'audiophile' grade cable and hear a difference is the RCA plug. Subwoofer seem to want lots of nice, tight surface contact.

Any of the good cables from the custom cable sites should work fine. I even used a 25 ft of CATV coax with "F-to-RCA male" adaptors to play with sub positions. Eventually the sub worked it's way behind my rack so I replaced the CATV coax with a video cable I had lying around that was near the correct length.

So go with the Rhino offering.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

this aura may perhaps be able to be captured using kirlian photography.

8. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

9. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

My mom's HT (nothing special, just some old JVC/KLH stuff to make my stepdad's war movies more fun has about a 20 ft run to the sub. I picked up a 25ft "speaker" cable at radioshack that has RCA jacks on each end...sure enough, it works fine for her setup...total price of cable $2.95 + tax.

...course I'm running a nice Monster Subwoofer Cable on my own sub...but then again I could buy 4 of her subs for the price of 1 of mine....

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Hey, your mother sunk enough into Nike's for you, go buy her a nice thank you system!

11. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

She prefers Video over Audio at the moment. I'm using the current setup to try and "teach" her some HT basics. When she's more confident I'll get her some better components...couldn't bear to picture her trying to cover the reciever with a doily or use see a seat-cushion to turn a Servo-15 into a futon. [​IMG] She's learning quite well and have even caught a "slight" case of upgraditis of late...I'm so proud.

...on second thought I guess sitting on a Servo (or similar HSU, Velodyne, or SVS) would be a fun experience until your filling fell out...[​IMG]

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'll not even recount old Howard Stern Radio broadcasts along those lines!!